• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair Capacity & Center HR?

tbz

Silver Member
Good afternoon all,

Have a project we are bidding, the main issue I see is that the architect did not show handrail placements on the stairs, but did show capacity notations.

Here in lies my question the architect has noted 4 units of width, by my viewing the stairs are over 68" in width thus would not a center handrail be required, thus leaving only (2) 40" wide paths of travel, and is a 36"-40" stair width considered 2 units, fore which the (4) units is noted?

Guess my concern is (3) handrails required because of width of flight, do the notations work with 3 handrails or is it based on (2) handrails?

staircapacity.jpg

Looks to me like if the required width is greater than 60" then yes an intermediate handrail would be required. Is this the only means of egress?

228 persons time 0.30 inches of stair per person = 68.4 inches of required width. Stair is 86 inches wide. The center handrail is required unless they negotiated a reduced capacity allowance for the 26 inches that are too far from the handrail.

Sifu said:
Looks to me like if the required width is greater than 60" then yes an intermediate handrail would be required. Is this the only means of egress?
Sifu,

I get the required width part, my question was on the stated method and the width?

Basing the egress on "units" went out of the code many years ago. Plus, their "units" appear to be feet compared to the old code "units" of 22 inches.

Coug Dad said:
228 persons time 0.30 inches of stair per person = 68.4 inches of required width. Stair is 86 inches wide. The center handrail is required unless they negotiated a reduced capacity allowance for the 26 inches that are too far from the handrail.
Coug Dad,

I can follow your math and thus the (2) 38" clear spans between (3) handrails works.

I am trying to wrap my head around " 4 units of width x 60 = 240 "

Were does the 4 units of width come from? Or should I say were in the code is a unit of width defined to a size?

Thanks

Legacy codes had egress based upon either 22 inch units or feet. I am not sure what "unit" they are referencing. Current codes use inches per person.

Stairs are allowed to be as wide as they want to be with only two handrails, unless the required egress width places people more than 30" from a handrail....

Therefore, 60" of stair width can handle 200 occupants with two handrails if not sprinkler- 2006 ed. IBC or 300 occupants with two handrails if sprinkler system is installed.

egress width required - 0.3 inches per person non-sprinkler (60/.3 = 200)

0.2 inches per person if sprinklered (60/.2 = 300)

The 2012 IBC may be different...

(Clarification on Coug Dad response......)

Builder Bob said:
Stairs are allowed to be as wide as they want to be with only two handrails, unless the required egress width places people more than 30" from a handrail....Therefore, 60" of stair width can handle 200 occupants with two handrails if not sprinkler- 2006 ed. IBC or 300 occupants with two handrails if sprinkler system is installed.

egress width required - 0.3 inches per person non-sprinkler (60/.3 = 200)

0.2 inches per person if sprinklered (60/.2 = 300)

The 2012 IBC may be different...

(Clarification on Coug Dad response......)
I would agree with unless the natural path of travel is direct to the middle of the stair, then there needs to be a handrail in the middle.

I am with everyone else. Sorry didn't quite follow your question at first. The 4 units threw me off so I conveniently ignored it. My calc's come up the same as coug dad and builder bob.

Weel any occupied stair width will give you 100 occupant exit capacity per handrail per 30 " the most a 7'-4" stair can handle with rails on EACH SIDE WOULD BE 200 OCCUPANTS - ONE RAIL IN THE MIDDLE OF A MILE WIDE STAIR = 200 OCCUPANTS