• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair Gate

Vertical post would be no less accessible than it is now; I think the issue at hand is to provide an alternative barrier so that people do not have to jump over the railing.

Francis

Francis Vineyard said:
Vertical post would be no less accessible than it is now; I think the issue at hand is to provide an alternative barrier so that people do not have to jump over the railing.Francis
Why and where is that required in the code?

They don't want you jumping the barricade

Francis Vineyard said:
Vertical post would be no less accessible than it is now; I think the issue at hand is to provide an alternative barrier so that people do not have to jump over the railing.Francis
People do not have to jump over the railing now, they choose to jump over the railing. Take the barrier up to the ceiling and the jumping will end.

mark handler said:
Why and where is that required in the code?They don't want you jumping the barricade
Lighten up!

In existing buildings the vertical post concept can provide and alternate means to interrupt and direct flow to the level of exit discharge yet allow passage to the lower level should the gate swing interfere. And the post do not need to reach the ceiling; I would approve 36 inches AFF.

Francis