• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair Questions Looking for Answers

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Would you pass this framing inspection of a self supporting deck with stairs? Final inspection will be after the treads, decking, guards and handrails are in place.

IMG_3702.JPG IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3706.JPG IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3708.JPG IMG_3709.JPG

If I had a long discussion with the contractor at that time.....Maybe....With a bunch of comments and it would depend on whether I could verify the corrections at final and certainly wouldn't want to dump it in another inspectors lap at that...

No way...….and I would not assume that they would fix before final, you are a trusting soul steveray.

Usually I would not do a rough inspection on something like this where you can see everything at the final. Same with decks.
Didn't this stairway need footings?

Nah....I just don't care how much they have to rip apart if they have been warned...;)....Most of the time the stairs aren't there when we do rough anyway....

You didn't indicate whether this was residential of commercial?
Is lumber in contact with concrete pressure treated?
Is landing large enough?
Ask Simpson about misuse of hangers.

You didn't indicate whether this was residential of commercial?
Is lumber in contact with concrete pressure treated?
Is landing large enough?
Ask Simpson about misuse of hangers.

it is residential which is why I posted it in the residential code section. ;)

I would not pass it, but I would not stop them from progressing and re-inspecting it at final.

Not keen on how those stringers are supported at the bottom...screws...

For us: we require 6x6 columns unless calculations are provided for a lesser size. The beams also need to bear on the columns, not attached laterally to them, unless the connection is designed by an engineer.

Deck appears to be self supporting, but is also attached to the building? We would have an issue with it attached to the building and not on a foundation because, you know, frost. Guessing that's not much of a problem there. What about uplift? Do you guys do anything for that with decks due to hurricanes?

Not that bad for not having any plans, (reviewed?) at least the installer didn't over cut the stair stringer notch or wait, are those pre-cuts?

Flashing and spacers at the ledger? Need to check the ledger connection to the house? No frost heave in that area I suspect? Metal fasteners don't appear to have approved fasteners?

Do you think the'll install a handrail and do it right?

One concern would be the step rise not being uniform and within 3/8-inch tolerance.

I wouldn't be to hard on your relatives?