• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair Tread Surface

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
I really have a problem with this. I have a set of stairs where the tread nosings and the leading 2" of the treads are elevated approx 1/8" above the tread itself. The 11 1/2" tread surface is made up of laminate flooring for the first 9 1/2" from the riser, and the remaining 2" that extends to the nosing is elevated 1/8" higher that the rest of the tread.

While walking up and down these stairs, it feels like a perpetual trip hazard starting at the landing. However, I cannot find a code section that explicitly prohibits this condition. I have yet to check to see what the commentary has to say about it, but I thought I'd get this out to all you good folk first.

I guess the most important question is, do the stairs lead to an attic?

If not, I don't see anything that prohibits it. Vinyl stair nosings are common.

I had the same situation a couple of years ago and couldn't find a provision that prohibited it either. In Section 1009.3.2 it says "stair treads and risers shall be of uniform size and shape," which they were. Although it didn't feel right when you walked on them, I ended up approving the project.

I would be interested if someone has found a provision that regulates this application.

Thanks Coug Dad. I found the reference in a 2000 copy that I have available. It is very clear there, but I cannot apply that code. However, I will inform their designer of it and see what he/she has to say about it. The plan shows no such condition, therefore I will seek designer's approval.