• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair violations?? or are they??

righter101

Gold Member
Pictured is a set of stairs from a residential property to the beach. Would you apply the "means of egress" requirements found in Ch 3 of the IRC?Yes/No/Maybe & Why/Why not.Thanks for the feedback.

View attachment 1708

View attachment 1708

/monthly_2012_08/572953e6b56ec_BeachStairs.jpg.8cf80b10e619c73e37c8b1dd8060bb05.jpg

Yes

2009 IRC

R101.2 Scope.

The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration , movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures .

STRUCTURE. That which is built or constructed.

STAIRWAY. One or more flights of stairs, either interior or exterior, with the necessary landings and platforms connecting them to form a continuous and uninterrupted passage from one level to another within or attached to a building, porch or deck.

Well You can't use the IRC so I guess you have to use the IBC

2009 IBC

101.2 Scope.

The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration , movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures.

STAIRWAY. One or more flights of stairs , either exterior or interior, with the necessary landings and platforms connecting them, to form a continuous and uninterrupted passage from one level to another.

Just because something is constructed on residential property does not require you to use the IRC exclusivly. Exterior stairs are covered under the IBC

mtlogcabin said:
Yes2009 IRC

R101.2 Scope.

The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration , movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures .

STAIRWAY. One or more flights of stairs, either interior or exterior, with the necessary landings and platforms connecting them to form a continuous and uninterrupted passage from one level to another within or attached to a building, porch or deck.

Well You can't use the IRC so I guess you have to use the IBC

2009 IBC

101.2 Scope.

The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration , movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures.

STAIRWAY. One or more flights of stairs , either exterior or interior, with the necessary landings and platforms connecting them, to form a continuous and uninterrupted passage from one level to another.

Just because something is constructed on residential property does not require you to use the IRC exclusivly. Exterior stairs are covered under the IBC
R311

Are all exits from a residents required to be a "means of egress"?

Thank you for the feedback.

I don't have my mind decided either way. Wanted to get all opinions.

Assume we discard the IRC and elect to use the IBC, it would seem to fit under the scoping provisions and a clear definition of a stairway is found as you provided.

The rise/run, height, guard requirements, etc, are all found in Chapter 10, "Means of Egress".

1001.1 General. Buildings or portions thereof shall be provided

with a means of egress system as required by this chapter.

The provisions of this chapter shall control the design, construction

and arrangement of means of egress components

required to provide an approved means of egress from structures

and portions thereof.

Is a set of stairs accessing the beach considered a "portion therof"????

Is the stair "structure", it's own entity, which would require egress to and from it, as a "structure", and therefore CH 10 requirements could be applied??

My reading of the commentary would tend to favor that conclusion.

righter101 said:
Is a set of stairs accessing the beach considered a "portion therof"????
I would only think it would apply as a means of egress if it were connected someway to a structure.

ICE said:
No. It is a landscapers project that would not require a permit.
This was my first thought looking at IBC 312 it is hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it starts on the property somewhere away from the house so I would not think that it would fall under a means of egress.

The picture is the size of an Excedrin tablet so it's hard to tell but I don't see a retaining wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's exempt per 2009 IRC: It's playground equipment and exempt according to R105.2 (8.).

What are you doing trespassing on their beach? :)

If the IBC is the code of choice, the stairs need landings installed............. In our area, this would lead to self sucicide if you started doing this on the beaches.

I don't think the IBC or the IRC really cover this application since the stairs are not a required means of egress...... but used for a convience to gain access to the beach for recreational purposes ------

However, Good workmanship and good practices would tend to follow the guidelines of the code.

If a building permit was issued, you are opening yourselves to alot of political and legal fallout as you are going to be darned if you do and darned if you don't. Most of these application in our region are covered by the OCRM regulations - and piers, docks, stairs, and beach access are regulated by this state agency. Our limits of responsibility stop at the OCRM line - Thank goodness

ICE said:
The picture is the size of a matchbook so it's hard to tell but I don't see a retaining wall.
It looks like landscaping tiers under the stairs, however if one should enforce sections of this code then all of it as applicable to structures.

R403.1.7 Footings on or adjacent to slopes. The placement of buildings and structures on or adjacent to slopes steeper than one unit vertical in three units horizontal (33.3-percent slope) shall conform to Sections R403.1.7.1 through R403.1.7.4.”

Francis

If it is attached to a deck attached to the house, I use IRC. If it is attached to the house and is the egress path from primary egress to grade, it is IRC. Anything else is landscaping. don't know how it could possible fall under IBC unless this is a multifamily building.

I vote "no" as well! Not a MOE to the public way and the stairs appear

to not be attached to the residence. OP says "from a Residential

property". See Section R311.2.1 in the 2006 IRC, " ..shall be

positively anchored to the primary residence".

ICE said:
The picture is the size of a matchbook so it's hard to tell but I don't see a retaining wall.
I had to do that to get under the 19k posting limit. If anyone knows a way around, I can repost a full size pic.

The stairs connect a portion of the yard to the beach below. They are private, not public, but are nowhere near the house.

Durant said:
It's exempt per 2009 IRC: It's playground equipment and exempt according to R105.2 (8.).What are you doing trespassing on their beach? :)
Something else you can't see from the picture is that the stairs were built over the property line. Hence the need to tresspass...

Ditto to fatboy, globe and ICE.

Fatboy, looks like you got my favorite QB now. Suppose I have to be a Broncos fan now.

If access to the beach area was designed using landscape materials then I would not have a problem. However the picture depicts a stair which the building codes give a design criteria for and if you want to permit and inspect the design and installation it can be done using the IBC.

A stair does not have to serve a means of egress to be regulated by the code it could be used to access different levels along a walking path. How many properties have exterior sidewalks and stairs that provide a path between building or around buildings that are not part of the means of egress? Schools come to mind do you allow them to construct whatever they want or do you require them to meat the design requirements of a stair as described in the "Means of Egress" portion of the code?

All I am saying is if you want to the IBC code provides a way. If you do not then stick with the IRC just be consistant in applying your decision throughout the jurisdiction.

jj1289 said:
NO here also
This is sounding good. I didn't want to get involved with regulating these. They have to get a shoreline permit to add docks and stairs but we have never enforced any building code provisions.

BLINDERS -- ON. Check.

Does anyone see anything wrong or a potential liability with providing "suggested" items such as hand rail specs?? Or just leave the building department out of it entirely.??

What is with the football talk??

There are only two real sports... Mixed Martial Arts and Poker !!!!!! :)

righter101,

In your jurisdiction, who typically builds and maintains these stairs?

IMO, if you have the option, leave them alone! Do not suggest

anything! "Zip it & skip it!" Also, what is the position of your

AHJ attorney?