• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairs in attic

ajweaver

Bronze Member
Question:

IRC 2006

If you are up in the attic-

Walking to the mechanicals.. and you see a raised a raised platform with the mechanicals-

Do you require the stair(s) to be compliant to Section 311.5

I looked in R807.1..nothing

then M1305.1.3...continuous solid flooring in accordance with chapter 5...

Chapter 5..general..not seeing anything specific.

Some inspectors in my city say if there is a step or steps installed, they require them to comply to section 311.

If not, the dont require it.

I had a 10" raised platform with an open "riser"

I saw it as a trip hazard and had them sheath the riser since insulation would likely cover the "riser" portion and someones foot could get caught.

But I didnt make the add a step and Started to wonder....

What do you enforce?

Thanks

Personally, I think you are over thinking it.

A raised platform is not a stair case.

Preventing the worst possible thing the inspector can imagine happening is not a code requirement.

Enforce what is written.

Technically speaking you ' could have ' required guards in accordance with Section R312.1

on the "raised floor surfaces" being greater than 30 inches above the floor or grade

below [ on the catwalk flooring ].

You simply cannot enforce every single requirement! The contractors would start

such an uproar that you could possibly lose your job. It is commendable however,

to see someone who is thinking about hazards in the built environment, about

someone possibly falling / tripping, and about you actually caring enough about the

people who might be accessing that platform in the future.

Kudos to you ajweaver!

Since the topic of attic stairs was so popular the first time around, maybe the gang could pick the topic up

again and continue the "Fun Banter!"

The letter of the law requires a level service walk and service platform with no obstructions, etc. The intent of the law is for a service tech to have reasonably safe acccess to service or replace equipment located in the attic, without having to tiptoe on ceiling joists, string extension cords from downstairs for service light and power, etc.

I personally do not sweat a 10" platform, and don't believe anybody climbing through scuttle holes or up disappearing stairs for a living should have a problem with it.

As long as you have the unobstructed pathway and clear working area, all is well. It may even help to have the equipment raised. Easier to get to for service etc. Just a thought.