• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

State Adopted Code and NFPA Standards

Can an unreferenced NFPA Standard be enforced because a referenced NFPA directs you there??

• Total voters

twd22285

I have a reference in the 2018 IFC (adopted by the state in which I reside) to Integrated Testing and NFPA 4. Chapter 80 of the 2018 IFC specifically references NFPA 4.
NFPA 4 references NFPA 3, however, NFPA 3 is not referenced in the 2018 IFC, nor is it referenced in our local municipality. Can NFPA 3 be enforced?

NFPA 4 is only required for high-rise buildings and smoke control systems per Section 901.6.2.1 and 901.6.2.2, respectively.

The NFPA 4 reference to NFPA 3 only states that where "integrated systems have not been commissioned in accordance with NFPA 3, an integrated system test plan shall be developed." Thus, NFPA 4 does not require compliance with NFPA 3.

Usually, references are limited to the extent prescribed. If the IFC references NFPA 4 for a specific scope, then administration is limited to that scope.

Hit enter too soon.

....so if the unreferenced NFPA document is referenced within the scope of the one that is referenced then I say it can be enforced.

If there is a clear path to the standard in the regulation or in other standards referenced from the regulation, then the standard applies as it is referenced. If the standard is invoked in limited situations then the standard can only be enforced in those conditions. If this is not possible then we have a lot more problems.

Except if the designer is using the performance code .... then the NFPA standard if refenced and used by the designers, may be enforced tot he fullest extend possible - including any referenced standards within the original NFPA standard referenced.
Wow-lots of double talk there but I think you the the idea