• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

State of the Forum August 21 2016

jar546

Forum Coordinator
It has now been over 3 full months since we moved to the new Xenforo platform after saying goodbye to the antiquated vBulletin. It was a major move which took place right after another major move to a new server with Amazon. Both moves were made for the improvement of the forum experience along with reduced maintenance costs and decreased server costs. I can tell you that both of those costs were reduced.

The move, however, which was funded by many of you who stepped up to the plate and offered to contribute, was only possible because of your ability to raise the money needed. For that, I and everyone who visited this forum should thank you.

Now on to some numbers and statistics. Since the move:
* We average 100 new registered members per month (an increase)
* I had pruned thousands of members who had not posted or visited in more than 3 years. (house cleaning)
* Posting and topics has been increasing.
* Website engagement is improving. People are spending more time once they get here.

On the other hand:
* Our actual number of total visits per day was initially down to 20% of normal (we figured this would take about a month or so to recover. We were wrong) We are now at 33% of our previous numbers so we are slowly improving. Many old links simply could not be maintained and the old system did have an archive which created tons more links.
* As a result of our overall number of visitors being down (despite more posting) our Google AdSense revenue, which was already less than half of what it was, went down accordingly with matching numbers. What this means is that all of the money we saved moving the server was wiped out by the loss of revenue in Google AdSense and then some.
* We have lost approximately 40 Sawhorses, Supporters and Corporate Supporters which really puts a significant damper on things. I honestly don't know what I can do to get these people back.

Overall, we are in good shape and as usual, I am committed to making this work and IT IS. Our numbers are climbing, albeit slowly; our engagement time is increasing, our membership is growing faster than it was in the past. Essentially, we will be here and continue to provide a solid product because of YOU. It is because of the threads you start, the posts you make and the commitment you have to this forum that it even exists. For that I thank each and every one of you.

Please copy and share the link to this forum to colleagues and anyone else that is directly or indirectly related to the building code industry. My vision is to be the number one online source of interactive code discussion in the world and I think we are slowly but surely getting there.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 8.57.13 AM.png
Here is a view of our daily visits and you can see how it has been affected.

Sure wish there was more weekend activity. Those of us that twist tools for a living can't be on when the activity is highest.

Thank you for all your work

Thank you for the info

I am wondering if it time for a rate increase of 5 or 10, maybe starting 1/2017.

I know that is not much, but a start.

Cannot talk about corporate sponsorship.

Not sure anymore how to get the word out, only thing I know is hit the icc chapter web sites

Maybe also say every November or pick a month have a link for just donations??

I think if a lot of people share a link in posts on the ICC website and inside chapter sites, it may help. We now have an enormous database of information that is easily accessible on a very modern platform.

Thanks for all that you do!

I my area it would be tough to get contractors on board as very few are interested in the code. They tend to learn by correction, "We do it nice 'cuz we do it twice" should be the motto for some" They to seem to believe since it was always done that way it should be fine.

As for my participation, I just realized I wasn't getting ANY notifications via email, so the website was never in front of me on a daily basis. I checked all my notification settings, my email, and all of my blocked email domains on my computer and on my server. Everything shows that I should be getting email notifications for my watched threads and forums, but I'm not. Any other suggestions where I should look?

Since I haven't been on the site for a few months I just spent all morning going through the forums and posting. I'd rather respond in a more timely manner, but without the notifications, I get caught up in my other activities that I forget to check.

As for my participation, I just realized I wasn't getting ANY notifications via email, so the website was never in front of me on a daily basis. I checked all my notification settings, my email, and all of my blocked email domains on my computer and on my server. Everything shows that I should be getting email notifications for my watched threads and forums, but I'm not. Any other suggestions where I should look?

Since I haven't been on the site for a few months I just spent all morning going through the forums and posting. I'd rather respond in a more timely manner, but without the notifications, I get caught up in my other activities that I forget to check.

Even though it says sawhorse next to your name,

You might owe

Click on the face top right of page,

Go to your account

I think it will say if you owe

Well, I changed my email to my Taliesin email address and now I get the notifications. For some reason my specsandcodes.com domain will not accept emails from thebuildingcodeforum.com domain, even though I explicitly authorized it. Go figure...