• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Steel Roll Up Door (Exterior) at Conditioned Space

Arch_Blume

I have a client wanting to put a roll up door in a conditioned space. We have approved plans, but now the inspector is questioning the validity of this proposed door. Can someone please provide me with a section to reference regarding this type of door, and we can show compliance to the CBC.

Thank you.

PS - This is my first post to the forum, I hope to contribute as well.

some guidance from the east coast, we look to the IECC, low BTU buildings have lesser requirements for insulation and air leakage. Think warehouses and garages.

a roll up door in a office or home would be a problem, less of an issue if it was to a storage area separated from an office area in a mixed use building

Arch_Blume said:
Location: Southern California (2013 CBC)I have a client wanting to put a roll up door in a conditioned space. We have approved plans, but now the inspector is questioning the validity of this proposed door. Can someone please provide me with a section to reference regarding this type of door, and we can show compliance to the CBC.

Thank you.

PS - This is my first post to the forum, I hope to contribute as well.
Maybe state where this is going, warehouse, office, etc

= + + =

Arch_Blume,

Also, ...welcome to the Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

So that we can address your question more thoroughly,

can you please provide us with some information, such as:

What is the intended use of the "roll up door", ...separating

Occupancy Groups, conditioned spaces, or fire areas,

...Means of Egress requirements, decorative feature,

structural loading, and on and on and on.

+ = = +

Arch_Blume

You can download a free pdf of the CA energy code from the CA Energy Commission website.

Generally a rollup door will not qualify as CA energy code compliant due to the mandatory weatherstripping requirement that is quite difficult at side roller/rail and joints between door panels. Additionally the door is usually quite large in area compared to the wall and would require UA calculations for minimum envelope compliance. (been there, tried that, didn't work)

A little more info...

The use is a Gym, that will have the door open most of the time to allow direct access to the exterior for outdoor exercises. (Mostly Running) The existing construction is 2x6 wood framing. with R-19 fiberglass batt insulation. The structure is in a commercial retail center. We are about 3,000 s.f. of more that 100,000 s.f. of total space, separated by fully insulated tenant separation walls (demising).

If the gymnasium is heated or cooled, then envelope compliance is required for the tenant space. it seems odd to have a large door open in a hot climate, the AC power bill would be huge for 3K sq ft. Please explain the energy approval method used, prescriptive or performance (computer)

If you were to provide an HVAC cut off switch connected to the door when open might work but weather seal when closed would still be a concern.