• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sterno in A-2

Just John

Bronze Member
2009 IFC 308.3 states Open-flame devices shall not be used in Group A occupancies, with 6 exceptions. Huhot resturaunt has smores makers they bring out to customers tables and when I asked who supervises children using these they said the parents must, and that these smores makers are used in all their resturaunts throughout the US. When looking up in the codes, I do not see where sterno would even be allowed to be used as a warmer for pans of food let alone given to a table of children. Anyone else allow these things? I know there is the section on flaming food, but what about just for warmning food? What about using STERNO at all?

I think you should be in Section 308.1.8 "Flaming Food" every smores I have witnessed being prepared by a child turns into a flaming smores

we just turned down same request

code does not allow it

plus all the other burning issues!!!!!!!!!! that go with it

I'd have have to agree, not allowed in the code. And how often do you hear........."But we do this in every other jurisdiction!"

We permit caterers to use it through our protected venues and the venues and caterers are strict about enforcing clearences to all combustibles, table covers, stationary mounting of the burners. I have witnessed enough to know that the venues are doing due diligence when these warmers are being used. Un supervised exposure in a restaurant is a completely different story and one that we would have issues with if discovered.

yea, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, reminds me of a cup of coffee , a lap and mc donalds. millions. no way