• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage buildings

Dallas Colwell

Has anyone passed an ordinance to stop the use of portable buildings or cargo containers as rental units in a commercial zoning? As they are not permanent structues we do not receive any tax revenue from them. If anyone knows of any or has any feedback please let me know as we are considering this. Thank you.

Well, if I were an "owner" I'd much prefer you require a permit and a foundation and tax them as utility buildings, rather than ban them. Just a thought.

Does that include requiring a permit if over 200 sf or whatever your amendment requires? I hope so but wasn't sure.

Foundation? Frost protected?
A permit is required, but we only confirm that zoning requirements are met.

We don't required the building to be stamped by a structural engineer or on a foundation with adequate frost protection.