• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage Room rating requirement

Vlab20

Bronze Member
Dear Forum Members,

I have a 55 sf storage room in an I-2 occupancy. We are currently using NFPA 101 2000 edition. Table 18.3.2.1 Hazardous Area Protection shows different wall ratings for different types and sizes of rooms. Under 50 - 100 sf Storage room is says: See 18.3.6.3.4. Which says the following: "Door closing devices shall not be required on doors in corridor wall openings other than those serving required exits, smoke barriers, or enclosures of vertical openings and hazardous areas."

The AHJ referred us to 18.3.6.3.4 but for the purpose of telling us that the room needs to be 1-hour rated because the AHJ has that authority. Obviously he referred us to the wrong section BUT my question is this: Is a Storage Room, that is between 50-100 square feet storing normal to low hazard combustibles(linens), required to be 1-hour rated OR just be allowed to not have a door closing device if deemed NOT hazardous?

We are asking for clarification from AHJ and I would normally just rate the storage room anyways for patient safety and move on but now I am curious...

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously since this is an old post, I hope you managed to get the issues solved mate! Care to share the answer to the storage room dilemma? I personally would also get clarification before going to do anything. But I also suppose that it really depends on what you've got going on in that storage room to determine whether it needs a door to close it or not right?

Welcome

How's the weather down there ?

What is a "Storage and Removal Expert"??

Have a relative traveling Australia and New Zealand the last few months.

Just posted today "between Esperance and Albany"

% ( ) %

Refer to Section 509.1 in the `12 IBC for Incidental Uses.

% ( ) %