• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage units Restrooms

All the ones I have used have always had a office with public restrooms during hours the office is open. Not other restrooms on the site.

I have been to my storage unit and did wish that they did have one during the non-office hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooner or later, many people get to wishing the was a restroom on every corner. I wonder if the ADA people know about that.

ICE said:
Sooner or later, many people get to wishing the was a restroom on every corner. I wonder if the ADA people know about that.
If Public toilet facilities are provided on a site, then one of each type of public restroom shall meet the accessibile requirements.

Being a storage facility, open to the Public, restrooms are required per table 4-1, in the plumbing code. Employee restrooms are also required.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably assume they are providing the restroom for the employees, which is also open to the public (when the facility is open). Having a restroom open during off hours is not a particularly good idea, and may be hard to justify requiring.

Thanks guys. The plans only show a new building being added to a group of exsiting buildings with public storage that where built before we had codes in PA. Don't know if there are exsiting restrooms or anything accessible. I guess they need an accessible route to the restrooms from accessible units if they do have the restrooms in an exsiting building.

Having a restroom open during off hours is not a particularly good idea, and may be hard to justify requiring.
We required them for a T-Hanger project when I was in Fl. They just installed a keypad on the door and would give the renters the combo.