• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stories with one exit, 1006.3.2(2)

kasa

If a group B occupancy wants to have a 2nd floor with only 1 exit, I used 2015 IBC table 1006.3.2(2) to see that they need to limit capacity to 29 but I'm not understanding the other column "maximum common path of egress travel distance".... I think of 'common path' as meaning how far you go until you have a choice in directions... but what choice is there on the entire floor except all to head to that single exit? Would I then find the furthest point and measure it, then down that stair- then they'd have a 'choice' there- though the door is right there so I wouldn't see why they'd choose to go to the other which is far away, but it's there. Is this the measurement that I need to take?

The common path of egress travel (CPET) is measured to an exit. If the one stairway is constructed as an exit, then the CPET measurement stops at the stairway. If the stairway is constructed as an exit access stairway, then the CPET is measured down the stair to an exit.

Thank you so much RLGA!!!

Follow-up question now....considering1006.3.2, number 2 "Rooms, areas and spaces complying with Section 1006.2.1 with exits that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, are permitted to have one exit or access to a single exit"... Right now the stair is open into the 1st floor, and then thru the l1st floor & you're to the exit door. If the stair was closed off from the 1st floor, and had an exit door at the base of the stair, at grade, would this be what the code requires here for number 2? Or is this exception talking essentially about 1st floor spaces only? Looking for something that gets it back to allowing 100' travel distance, because table 1006.3.2(2) doesn't give footnote b to the 2nd floor (footnote allows 100' when sprinkled). Also (sorry, I'm just checking/feeling dense) by "closed off from the 1st floor", I'd think that means just not same air space- not that the stair be separated with rated construction?

Thank you so much RLGA!!!

Follow-up question now....considering1006.3.2, number 2 "Rooms, areas and spaces complying with Section 1006.2.1 with exits that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, are permitted to have one exit or access to a single exit"... Right now the stair is open into the 1st floor, and then thru the l1st floor & you're to the exit door. If the stair was closed off from the 1st floor, and had an exit door at the base of the stair, at grade, would this be what the code requires here for number 2? Or is this exception talking essentially about 1st floor spaces only? Looking for something that gets it back to allowing 100' travel distance, because table 1006.3.2(2) doesn't give footnote b to the 2nd floor (footnote allows 100' when sprinkled). Also (sorry, I'm just checking/feeling dense) by "closed off from the 1st floor", I'd think that means just not same air space- not that the stair be separated with rated construction?
I could see it being interpreted that way if the 2nd story consists of a single-tenant space. If the second story has multiple tenant spaces connected by a corridor, then it would probably not be acceptable to use that part of Section 1006.3.2, and you would be limited to a 75-foot CPET per Table 1006.3.2(2). Also, the CPET distance would still be measured down the stairs to the exit door.