• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Strange NY thing.. lead paint

TimNY

Platinum Member
Ok so the cellophane is barely off the books and NY is fiddling with the code. I find this on the DOS website:

the great state of NY said:
New Section J102.6 is added to 2010 RCNYS Appendix J, Section J102. New Section J102.6 reads as follows:“Section J102.6. Lead-based paint. In addition to requirements of this code, 40 CFR 745 (titled “Lead-based Paint Poisoning Prevention in Certain Residential Structures”), a regulation issued and enforced by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency, applies to certain activities in buildings that may contain lead-based paint, including renovations performed for compensation in “target housing” and “child-occupied facilities,” “abatement” of lead-based paint hazards and other “lead-based paint activities” (as those terms are defined in 40 CFR Part 745).”
err wha?

Strange Thing about Bait and Switch.

RI the Lead based sue me state has been requiring lead abatement contractors to be registered with our health department for years.

testing and psuedo abatement has been in process for years

Luck for building departments most issues surrounding lead based paint are NON PERMIT items

finish type work etc.

so along came CFR and now and we need to ask (not verify yet) that work being executed in pre 1978 construction is done by workers who are Lead aware.

to assist the health dept supplied new application forms that have boxes foe are you a lead certified contractor [] yes or [] no

we were informed that there was no incorrect answer to the question and we would not be required to check, verify, or inspect to standard; and would not have to report data

that would be a health or related divisions responsibility.

then I see grant applications flying around for thousands of dollars of RFP's for educationg building officials about the process that we were originally informed we would not be enforcing.

so that was the bait and here comes the swith.

spoke with healty lead guy the other day and tey were offering education money for such purposes.

the approach is coming through the Property Maintainance codes

Yeah I agree; there is no need for that to be in there (unless you get federal money for putting it in there) unless there is an ulterior motive.

Why don't they put the same statement about ADA in the building code?

As I read it, it clearly states I cannot enforce it. Thus. ???