• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Strap tie to wood studs for lateral support to steel post

sunyaer

I've seen a good lateral support detail on site that there are steel posts (most of the time circular shape) inside a wood stud wall like the picture below, situations like steel posts supporting the lintel beam above a house garage door. The blue line shows a strap tie providing lateral support for the steel post.

Would anyone provide a detail or common notes for the strap tie, including the size of the strap, nails size? And is there a code reference in National Building Code of Canada or Ontario Building Code for providing the strap as lateral support to steel post?

1694086323726.png

It's not a prescriptive option under the code, it would be designed by an engineer on a case-by-case basis.

I've seen plenty of steel columns, to I have not seen one with the additional lateral support required by the engineer.

Note that posts under beams require anchoring at both top and bottom. We have a modular home installer in our area that almost always fails to anchor the bottom of steel posts, and half the time just uses wood screws to anchor the top.