• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stretch ceiling

Yev

Does anyone know if you need to drop sprinklers below a stretch ceiling, or are sprinklers above it ok?

Do you have a link to the product

My 90% guess is yes fire sprinklers are required below.

Need 70 % opening in the material, plus a few other criteria

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the product

My 90% guess is yes fire sprinklers are required below.

Need 70 % opening in the material, plus a few other criteria

If this in NFPA 13? If so could you provide the code reference. I've never come across it. Thanks.

If this in NFPA 13? If so could you provide the code reference. I've never come across it. Thanks.

Using open grid provision for the 70,,,
In case the say it has holes in it

There are other provisions that would also apply, to require sprinklers below.

Does anyone know if you need to drop sprinklers below a stretch ceiling, or are sprinklers above it ok?

Should have asked, is it combustible or non combustible construction above the stretch ceiling

Non combustible type 2 building. I would use the one that's the most fire safe that's available out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends upon the type of stretch ceiling used and the scale of the interior space. Traditionally the sprinklers are attached below the stretch ceilings but then again it depends upon the type of stretch ceiling and the interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me thinks ICE is correct, this person has posted variations of this question 4 other times, dating back to Sept 2016.