• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stringent Building Codes Save Lives in Chile

Chile quake toll limited by good planning

Scientists and engineers say stringent building codes helped

Earthquake scientists, building engineers and political scientists in Chile and the United States agreed that even though half a million homes were heavily damaged during more than 120 seconds of shaking, the fact that so many Chileans survived was a testament to the nation's enactment and enforcement of stringent building codes.

Chile has relatively low levels of corruption, making enforcement of building codes more credible than in other Latin American countries; its rank on Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index is 25, just six spots below the United States, while Haiti's is 168.

Re: Stringent Building Codes Save Lives in Chile

Bob the Builder,

Welcome to the codes forum! :)

Thanks for the info.

B the B,

Welcome to the forum.

"Chile has relatively low levels of corruption, making enforcement of building codes more credible"

Unfortunately, the building codes in the U.S. are corrupted big time, by special interest groups; that pressure Authorities Having Jurisdiction to amend them (weaken them) and/or forcing Building Safety Departments to ignore them.

Uncle Bob

I take exception to anyone that questions my integery or puts me into a group that does not enforce the code.

One must participate in the process to make it better. I have been at this from 1972 and while it is not perfect it is continuing to get better. There is a lot to blame, building in a hazard area Mother Nature will make you pay. The intent of the codes is to minimize the lost of life and property not eliminate.

Lou,

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you stay and share your experience and code knowledge with us.

Uncle Bob

Lou,

Yes, welcome to the forum and I don't nor would I ever believe the following is or was intended as personal:

Unfortunately, the building codes in the U.S. are corrupted big time, by special interest groups;
Being involved in the process for many years myself, I can see the validity in the statement ........JMHO

Lou, I agree with FMWB. Nothing personal, just differences of opinion. Everybody is represented by several "special interest groups" whether they know it or not. Good healthy debate is a wonderful thing.

Uncle Bob said:
B the B,Unfortunately, the building codes in the U.S. are corrupted big time, by special interest groups; that pressure Authorities Having Jurisdiction to amend them (weaken them) and/or forcing Building Safety Departments to ignore them.Uncle Bob
There is also considerable special interest pressure to incorporate requirements into the codes that greatly benefit specific manufacturer's or industries, often with questionable impacts on life safety, public health and welfare.

Debatable examples include Zappa's crappa flapper self rising toilet seat that did not get in the code (actually got banned in the accessibility code) and the locking refrigerent caps that did get in and will likely have little impact on keeping huffers from getting high as they find the keys or just puncture lines to get the refrigerent out-- or huff other available things like paint, propane and gasoline. Bent coathanger wire and pliers can be used as key to open.