• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Structrual Review of Emergency Rooms

Big Mac

Gold Member
Submittal

Three-story 88,000 square foot medical building. This is not a hospital but does contain an emergency room that by the tenants statement is expected to serve approximately 35,000 patients a year.

The applicant is trying toclaim this is a Category II structure, with regard to structural design.

I have maintained that it is a Category IV structure in accordance with ASCE7-05, Table 1-1 and 2006 IBC Table 1604.5.

In each of these tables, among the structures identified as belonging to Category IV are "hospitals and other health care facilities having surgery or emergency treatment facilties. This seems very cut and dried to me. Anybody out there disagree? If so, why?

I'm going to post this in the regular commercial site too, so I can get additional feedback.

Re: Structrual Review of Emergency Rooms

Big Mac,

You are definitely correct. We here at NC DHSR had a similar situation and the identical discussion. The outcome was some additional structural work and a very nice facility. Good luck with yours.

macdal

I think that some logic may be needed here - What level of trauma treatmet is the ER going to be Certified for? Do futher plans indicate a desire o progress to a higher trauma level at a future date.

If it is a bandaid station - Broken arms, sprains, stiches, etc.... I could almost see a reduction in seismic design use group as this is nothing more than glorified doctor's office.

If it is a level I or Level II trauma center - Surgrical Center, etc/ I could argue the ned of a seismic use group IV.

just MHO -

I am with Builder Bob and wonder if this is just an outpatient clinic. Does the "emergency room" have general anethesia and 24-hour patient care? Is the building expected to remain operational after an earthquake?

The exact wording in a document filed witht the state Board of Health is "The intention of the facility is to maintain near normal operations in the case of seismic, volcanic, or other natuaral disaster."

As I expected, this came down to a politically charged conclusion. Of course it is a 'Use Group B' non-essential facility. They said so.