• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Study Material for IBC

darcar

Silver Member
I would like to get your input for Study Guides etc. for getting IBC certified.

What tyoes of books, discs, on-line options are the best for helping me get certification?

Thanks everyone

The IBC itself is all you need. A handbook or commentary is also helpful.

My suggestion is to study in this fashion:

First, learn how the code is formatted and arranged. Next, learn what the title and scope each chapter is. Next, break down each chapter into th specific articles. Finally, learn the individual sections of each article.

Read and re-read the definitions as often as possible. Terminology is everything when taking exams and in the real world.

Study hard, be dedicated to your studies, and over-prepare.

Biggest help in passing cert tests is knowing your way around the books. This means being able to FIND the proper info, not necessarily knowing it from memory. Keep in mind that the table of contents and index are only marginal help - there's stuff mixed all around these books! By spending time loooking up stufff (for instance from the flash card questions like mtlogcabin suggested) is better than memorizing the answers. Looking things up gets you familiar with where the info is located.

Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have a link to the Flash Cards?

invest in the tabs for your code book; you can't take the flash cards... being able to maneuver is the only way to pass (unless you have the code book memorized).