• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Subpanel

docgj

Silver Member
Situation...200 amp service installed in existing garage. Owner is building a new home. He wants to subfeed the house(200 amp) from the garage. Can he subfeed 200 amps from a 200 amp service? We are using the 2009 family of codes.

docgj

docgj said:
Situation...200 amp service installed in existing garage. Owner is building a new home. He wants to subfeed the house(200 amp) from the garage. Can he subfeed 200 amps from a 200 amp service? We are using the 2009 family of codes.docgj
The new home can be fed from the existing service at the existing garage provided that the combine calculated loads don't exceed the 200 amp service.

Chris

That was my thought also. His electrician is telling him he can only feed the dwelling with 75% of the 200 amp service or 150 amps? The dwelling and garage loads will not exceed the 200 amps.

docgj

As Chris has stated, he can run a 200A sub-feed to the house. There is not a 75% rule. I would ask for a calculated load that Chris references to verify.

Load calculation will not bother me, but wondering which MFG have 200A main panel provide space for another 200A breaker to feed sub-panel?

span