• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Support of horizontial fire separations.

khsmith55

Bronze Member
Given a steel framed, three story building with a basement, of Type II-B Construction, non-seperated mixed use under the 2006 Edition of the International Building Code. The second floor will be health care facility and therefore regulated further by NFPA 101-2000 (LSC). Section 18.1.2.1(2) of the LSC requires a 2 hour separation of the second floor from the first and third floors. The horizontal separation(s) at the third and second floors will be a listed 2 hour floor/ceiling assembly of fireproofed steel beams and a fire proofed composite concrete floor system. All steel columns supporting the 2 hour rated horizontal separation(s) will also be fire protected with a listed 2 hour assembly continuous from the third floor to the foundation wall or isolated column pads (at interior columns). Since the "interior" columns penetrate and provide support for the non-rated first floor system will there be any special requirements besides the continuous fire protection on the columns.

I realize you are under the 2000 LSC as a condition of CMS but the 2009 LSC does not allow new health care occupancies on the second floor of a Type II (000) building. Your building's construction type should really be upgraded for conform to Table 18.1.6.1 in the 2009 LSC.

Coug,

Thanks for the “heads up”, got me worried a bit so I went back thru my notes. I mis-stated the Occupancy, the possibility exists to have an “Ambulatory Health Care Occupancy”. It would appear according to LSC-2009, Table 20.1.6.1 would permit Type II(000), sprinklered for the “Ambulatory Health Care Occupancy”.

Again, thanks for the information.

Ken

I'm not sure if it's a code requirement or state building official interpretation, but state buildings in Virginia have to have fireproofing extended onto non-rated beams for 2 feet from rated columns.