• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades

Surveys Surveys Surveys

mtlogcabin

Sawhorse
The city attorney wrote it so I can't change it

Definition of certify

transitive verb
1: to attest authoritatively: such as
a: CONFIRM
b: to present in formal communication
c: to attest as being true or as represented or as meeting a standard

jar546

*****istrator
10 years ago we inspected and approved the setbacks of the first home in a new subdivision based on the contractors layout. After the foundation walls where poured he came in yelling and screaming that we approved his project on the neighboring lot and wanted to know what we where going to do about it. I told him nothing it was a civil matter between him and the other owner. He wanted to know how we could make such a mistake and when I informed him the setbacks where correct he dug his hole in the ground on the wrong lot not us he left.
Hence why they need a survey to start and a form-board survey before they pour footers/slab

Mark K

Platinum Member
I do appreciate that owners and contractors do play games but still the precision of 4 surveys is overkill. While there may be exceptions there are many cases where you can check setback against a known property line with a tape measure and not be off by more than 4 to 6 inches. While this may offend the zoning gods it probably does not make any real difference in the long term.

I do not believe that building officials should ever use the words certificate or affidavit. I do not see where they have the legal authority to require such a statement. In addition the submission of a permit application is an effective certification by the owner that the application complies with the regulations.

The building official should not play CYA, rather the building department should conscientiously inspect and enforce the regulations.