• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Suspended Gas Heaters

north star

Sawhorse
& : :

Greetings to you all !

I have some questions regarding Suspended [ natural ] Gas Heaters.

I have some existing, suspended gas heaters installed, and at least one

flexible connector has started leaking due to wind \ vibrations, etc.

The connector has been replaced, but questions have arisen concerning,

installing piping to these type of appliances.

QUESTION # 1: Is it "required" to use flexible connectors when

installing these type of appliances, or is it "acceptable" to hard pipe

these appliances ?

I have looked at one manufacturer' Installation Instructions, and they

did not mention [ i.e. - state anything in their instructions ] anything

regarding the type of piping to the appliance, ...only that a shut off

valve had to be installed within 6 ft. of the appliance.........This language

is the same in NFPA 54, ...the IFGC.

I have someone who is looking for a Code section, or instructions by

the manufacturer that specifically states "requires a flexible connection".

As always, ...please cite any applicable Code Sections.

Thanks !

: : &

& : :

O.K., ...thanks for the PM by a fellow Forum member !

I need to look in Section 411, in the IFGC - Connections to appliances.

north star said:
& : :Greetings to you all !

I have some questions regarding Suspended [ natural ] Gas Heaters.

I have some existing, suspended gas heaters installed, and at least one

flexible connector has started leaking due to wind \ vibrations, etc.

The connector has been replaced, but questions have arisen concerning,

installing piping to these type of appliances.

The appliance needs to be restrained to resist the wind loads

301.10 Wind resistance.

Appliances and supports that are exposed to wind shall be designed and installed to resist the wind pressures determined in accordance with the International Building Code.

& * & * &

" PM? That does not help the rest of us very much... :sad: "
Sorry Big John, ...I "assumed" that by me indicating Section 411in the IFGC, that that statement would be sufficient for the

viewing masses........I wholeheartedly apologize !

Let me be a little more clear to help you out. :-D

"Hey Big John !.........I

have received input;

via a PM, that I should

be looking in Section

411 in the `12 IFGC."

Does this help you sir ?

& * & * &

It's the new forum policy to encourage paid subscriptions.

You ask a question publicly, and your replies are sent anonymously to your in-box.

If a non-paying poster poses a question, it's just an empty thread with the sound of crickets. :lol:

...and maybe this is a more reasonable response;

from 2012 IFGC

407.1 General.

Piping shall be provided with support in accordance with Section 407.2.

407.2 Design and installation.

Piping shall be supported with metal pipe hooks, metal pipe straps, metal bands, metal brackets, metal hangers or building structural components, suitable for the size of piping, of adequate strength and quality, and located at intervals so as to prevent or damp out excessive vibration. Piping shall be anchored to prevent undue strains on connected appliances and shall not be supported by other piping. Pipe hangers and supports shall conform to the requirements of MSS SP-58 and shall be spaced in accordance with Section 415. Supports, hangers and anchors shall be installed so as not to interfere with the free expansion and contraction of the piping between anchors. All parts of the supporting equipment shall be designed and installed so they will not be disengaged by movement of the supported piping.

411.1 Connecting appliances.

Except as required by Section 411.1.1, appliances shall be connected to the piping system by one of the following:

1. Rigid metallic pipe and fittings.2. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) where installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.3. Semirigid metallic tubing and metallic fittings. Lengths shall not exceed 6 feet (1829 mm) and shall be located entirely in the same room as the appliance. Semirigid metallic tubing shall not enter a motor-operated appliance through an unprotected knockout opening.4. Listed and labeled appliance connectors in compliance with ANSI Z21.24 and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and located entirely in the same room as the appliance.5. Listed and labeled quick-disconnect devices used in conjunction with listed and labeled appliance connectors.6. Listed and labeled convenience outlets used in conjunction with listed and labeled appliance connectors.7. Listed and labeled outdoor appliance connectors in compliance with ANSI Z21.75/CSA 6.27 and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Have seen solid pipe up to near the heater than flex off of that to the unit

& * & * &

"From **mjesse**...it's just an empty thread with the sound of crickets. :lol: "
You either have a very, very good memory, ...a wicked sense ofhumor, or both sir !.........My compliments to you. :grin:

Besides, ...I was attempting [ albeit poorly ] to poke some fun at

**JBI**.........He too is an "Forum old schooler" from way back.

& * & * &