• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Swimming Pool Bonding

Code Weenie

I have been reading the 2009 IRC which was adopted by Pennsylvania this past January and I am looking for an interpretation regarding swimming pool bonding. If I am reading this correctly in E4204.2 (2), we now have to bond the entire perimeter of the pool within 3 feet even if no reinforced concrete is used? Also, E4204.3 requires the pool water to be bonded by means of a conductive surface area not less than 9 square inches installed in contact with the pool water. How is this done in an above ground pool? What about storable pools?

If I am reading this correctly in E4204.2 (2), we now have to bond the entire perimeter of the pool within 3 feet even if no reinforced concrete is used?
Correct, paved and unpaved perimeter surfaces are required to have an equipotential bonding grid/means.

Also, E4204.3 requires the pool water to be bonded by means of a conductive surface area not less than 9 square inches installed in contact with the pool water. How is this done in an above ground pool?
You can use any of the bonded items already required such as a metal ladder or other metal part that is in contact with the water.

If nothing exists you can install a plate that is 9 square inches in the filter area and bond that plate to the equipotetial bonding grid.

Storable pools are not required to comply with Part II of Article 680 and are not required to have an equipotential plane.

Chris

Chris covered it nicely so I will just add that a short section of metallic piping at the pump or location of your choice can be used to get compliance with the water bonding issue. then all you need is a water pipe clamp to make your #8 connection.

I agree the whole "perimeter" bonding requirements is weird let alone bonding of the pool water itself, but there has been substantiation submitted to the NFPA indicating the need.