• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Swimming pool deck steps risers for indoor residential house.

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE

2018 ISPSC​

306.3 Step Risers and Treads

Step risers for decks of public pools and spas shall be uniform and have a height not less than 3-3/4 inches (95 mm) and not greater than 71/2 inches (191 mm). The tread distance from front to back shall be not less than 11 inches (279 mm). Step risers for decks of residential pools and spas shall be uniform and shall have a height not exceeding 71/2 inches (191 mm). The tread distance from front to back shall be not less than 10 inches (254 mm).

Never noticed this section before.

1. Indoor residential pool in a new addition that I am inspecting now. Has outdoor stairway where the top landing is level with the pool deck inside the door. In pa single dwellings can have 8-1/4 high risers. Are these outdoor stair risers are to be only 7-1/2" maximum?

2. Is this also required for a wood deck stairway built next to a outside on ground pool?

On one hand, it could be said that if the stairs serve the pool the code would apply, even if they serve other areas, but that is subjective and only the AHJ (you) can make that call, because by that determination any stair (front porch?) that leads to a pathway to or from the pool would be included. Or, you could say only the stairs that serve only the pool are the intended target I think the code is poorly written. It uses "of" instead of serve, it does not provide limits, nor does the definition for deck in the ISPSC. If we look at the definition in the ISPSC for a deck it attempts to limit it by using "immediately adjacent", but that is subjective. My sister has a deck around her pool that is easily 1,000sf², it has a stair leading to it from grade, and one leading up from it to the house. Both stairs are at least 40' away. Neither stair serves only the pool because the bottom also serves the house, and the top also serves the grade level. There is also a grill, a full bar with roof, lounge chairs and a dining table. So where does the pool deck stop and the non-pool deck start? I would not consider either stair "immediately adjacent" but someone else could, and could administer this code instead of the IRC.

DECK. An area immediately adjacent to or attached to a pool
or spa that is specifically constructed or installed for sitting,
standing, or walking.

This really is hard to follow though. If I read this correctly, do we infer from the code that the stairs serving the residential pool are an elevated risk, therefore require a shorter riser, but the stair for a commercial pool are at a decreased risk, so they get a taller riser? Why change the code up here? Has there been a study or statistics demonstrating an increased risk on residential and decreased risk on commercial? Is there enough statistical data to justify the conflict and confusion created by altering the IBC/IRC requirements? Obviously, pool decks may be somewhat more hazardous due to the nature of the use, but only for residential? Sorry, the intent here is lost on me. Maybe someone has more insight. Glenn did a lot of work on decks and pools, so maybe he will chime in. These codes are included in his most recent book which offers a lot in understanding deck issues, but there is no additional commentary for this particular section.

I had all your same questions and I had my own opinions. Here is what is approved for the 2024 ISPSC.View attachment 11045
I don't know whether I remember some previous communication or posting from you about this or I was just guessing you had it addressed in some manner already. Either way, you are on it!

Way to go Glen but why do we need this section at all and just go with the requirements in the IRC and IBC? Is because the stairways may not part of of a egress from a building?
If the same stairway for a pool deck or a spa on a deck is also part of a egress from a building like the residential indoor pool I am inspecting which code do you go by IRC or ISPSC of if a public pool IBC or ISPSC?

We have a resort in the Pocono's where they have a spa shaped like a champagne glass off a mezzanine that has a bedroom on it for honeymooners. Would the risers for the curved stairway to the mezzanine need to follow the IBC or the ISPSC?