Swimming Pools, Fountains, and Similar Installations
680.11 Underground Wiring. Underground wiring shall comply with 680.11 (A) through (C).
(A) Underground Wiring. Underground wiring within 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of the pool shall be permitted. The following wiring methods shall be considered suitable for the conditions in these locations:
1. Rigid metal conduit
2. Intermediate metal conduit
3. Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit
4. Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
5. Jacketed Type MC cable that is listed for burial use
6. Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit listed for direct burial use
7. Liquidtight flexible metal conduit listed for direct burial use
(B) Wiring Under Pools. Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment permitted by this article.
(C) Minimum Cover Requirements. Minimum cover depths shall be as given in Table 300.5.
680.14 Wiring Methods in Corrosive Environment. Wiring methods in a corrosive environment shall be listed and identi- fied for use in such areas. Rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit, and reinforced thermosetting resin conduit shall be considered to be resistant to the corrosive environment.
(A) Wiring Methods. The wiring to a pool motor shall comply with 680.21(A) (1) unless modified for specific circumstances by (A) (2) or (A) (3).
(1) General. Wiring methods installed in a corrosive environ- ment shall comply with 680.14 or shall be Type MC cable listed for that location. Wiring methods installed in these locations shall contain an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with Table 250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG.
Where installed in noncorrosive environments, the wiring methods of branch circuits shall comply with the general requirements in Chapter 3.
(2) Flexible Connections. Where necessary to employ flexible connections at or adjacent to the motor, liquidtight flexible metal or liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit with listed fittings shall be permitted.