• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Swimming pool installation - tenant or owner?

MikeC

Silver Member
This is probably a dumb question. I just received a permit application from a tenant of a single family house rental for the installation of an above ground swimming pool. I am thinking the home owner needs to be the person applying for this permit. Am I correct?

I like Chad's answer... Contractors generally have a contract with the record owner, tenenats typically need landlord permission for 'improvements'.

For example, the jurisdictions I've worked in generally required a tenant at a Manufactured Home Community (Mobile Home Park) to provide a letter from the park owners for changes - sheds, decks, etc. - prior to issuing a permit. Same for commercial mall tenants.

It depends on the jurisdiction, in VA the tenant is considered an "owner" for the purposes of code applications.

From 2012 Virgnia construction Code

"OWNER. The owner or owners of the freehold of the premises or lesser estate therein, a mortgagee or vendee in possession, assignee of rents, receiver, executor, trustee or lessee in control of a building or structure."

PA UCC states "Owner or Authorized Agent" as to who can apply and 2012 IRC defines

"OWNER. Any person, agent, firm or corporation having a legal or equitable interest in the property."

I think that would include a tenant.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of ag??

Blow up?

Set up?

Full above ground pool with wood deck constructed around it?

Depending on how your local laws are written and how much trouble you want to stay out of.....Get an owners signature somewhere.....Here, all applicants sign a sworn statement that they are the owner or agent of....Makes the lawyers feel better....On the flip side...how do you know what the owners signature looks like?