• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Swimming Pool Lights

Mule

Platinum Member
When determining the specific location of swimming pool lights what distance do you guys allow them to be from the top of the deck?

I know they have to be a minimum of 18" according to 680.23 A 5.

This section covers specifies the minimum depth of luminaires installed below the normal water level of the pool.

680.23 Underwater Luminaires.

(A) General.

(5) Location, Wall-Mounted Luminaires. Luminaires mounted in walls shall be installed with the top of the luminaire lens not less than 450 mm (18 in.) below the normal water level of the pool, unless the luminaire is listed and identified for use at lesser depths. No luminaire shall be installed less than 100 mm (4 in.) below the normal water level of the pool.

But what about for servicing and maintenance? You need to determine if there are any specific items that may cause the luminaire to be located lower than the luminaire can be serviced without entering the pool. Like water falls, raised decks or whatever. What is the maximum depth allowed? I could probably reach 30 to 36 inches but I'm 6'4" tall with long arms. What if the electrician is 4' tall with short arms???? Don't send him to the job??? Only tall people are allowed to service wet-niche luminaires???

What do you guys and gals do for the normal depth? Or do you ever think about it? Or did you even know???

(B) Wet-Niche Luminaires.

(6) Servicing. All wet-niche luminaires shall be removable from the water for inspection, relamping, or other maintenance. The forming shell location and length of cord in the forming shell shall permit personnel to place the removed luminaire on the deck or other dry location for such maintenance. The luminaire maintenance location shall be accessible without entering or going in the pool water.

Re: Swimming Pool Lights

OK, I'll bite........... I used to do some pool work and I'm short, but I never had any problems removing a light from a niche. As far as new installations, after a quick google search the manufacturer's spec's say a minimum of 18". So I guess some common sense from the original installer would have to play in, that you meet the minimum, but keep in mind how practical replacement and service will be.

If the place it below a feature that won't allow the klight to be reached.....I guess you call out the old sky-hook! :lol:

The code is clear on the minimum but not the maximum depth. That is what I am asking about. Do any of your jurisdictions have a policy about the maximum depth? 24"???? 36"????

Mule,

I agree with raider1 [ Chris ] in that the ' code minimum ' is indeed very clear. No, we
do not have a maximum dimension of where a luminaire can be installed in a pool.
That is usually decided upon by the pool contractor and the owner of the pool, besides,
we are darned lucky to be getting any plans [ of any substance, ...with any type of
real dimensions & details ] anyway!......Yeah, it's a political thing!.......The contractors
have the upper hand
`round these parts!

Last edited:

north star said:
Mule,

I agree with raider1 [ Chris ] in that the ' code minimum ' is indeed very clear......No, we
do not have a maximum dimension of where a luminaire can be installed in a pool......That

is usually decided upon by the pool contractor and the owner of the pool.
So a contractor or homeowner can have the light installed 5 feet from the top of the deck. Then how do you meet the section that states: shall be accessible without entering or going in the pool water.

Wet-Niche Luminaires.

(6) Servicing. All wet-niche luminaires shall be removable from the water for inspection, relamping, or other maintenance. The forming shell location and length of cord in the forming shell shall permit personnel to place the removed luminaire on the deck or other dry location for such maintenance. The luminaire maintenance location shall be accessible without entering or going in the pool water.

I understand and agree the code is very clear on the minimum depth of 18" below waters edge and the reasoning.

However, from what I am gathering is that nobody enforces 680.23 (6)

Last edited by a moderator:
"The luminaire maintenance location shall be accessible without entering or going in the pool water"

as long as the cord is long enough, the luminaire can be mounted anywhere. (like near the bottom of the 15' deep pool)

the code only requires the "maintenance location" to be accessible and dry, not the luminaire.

how do you replace the bulb without going into the water? That's maintenance, also.. right?

Build the pool without lights.

"Build the pool without lights."

Having done pool service work in a past life, I agree, and have encouarged the same. Do some above ground lighting.......might not be as pretty, but a helluva lot cheaper, and easier to maintain.

Mule,

I agree with raider1 [ Chris ] in that the ' code minimum ' is indeed very clear. No, we

do not have a maximum dimension of where a luminaire can be installed in a pool. That

is usually decided upon by the pool contractor and the owner of the pool. Besides, we are

darned lucky to be getting any plans [ of any substance, ...with any type of real dimensions

& details ] anyway! Yeah, it's a political thing! The contractors have the upper hand

`round these parts! :cry:
Mule
You do not need to shout at us

$ ~ $

Mark, ...FWIW, ** Mule ** hasn't been on this Forum in years.
He retired and is spending time with his grandkids.

The oversized font was my mistake !........I have corrected the
font sizing.........My apologies to you sir !

$ ~ $

$ ~ $

Mark, ...FWIW, ** Mule ** hasn't been on this Forum in years.
He retired and is spending time with his grandkids.

The oversized font was my mistake !........I have corrected the
font sizing.........My apologies to you sir !

$ ~ $
Thank you

A swimming pool without a light is dangerous because at night it is difficult to see the bottom of the pool. There could be a body down there and nobody would know it...or perhaps it helps people judge the depth. What ever the reason, clearly safety is involved. I bet that more people have been killed by defective pool lights than have been saved by having light.

The concept of bringing 120 volts to potential intimate contact with naked people submerged in mineral rich aqua starts existence out behind the eight ball. Over time the mechanical parts of the circuit that are in an unfriendly environment lose integrity. Is it a shocking revelation that people are injured and even killed.

When I inspect service panel upgrades and there's a swimming pool, I ask for GFCI protection on the light, pump motor and any other electric equipment. Almost never has that been done before I ask for it. I am told that the pool equipment has not been replaced and therefore the standard breaker is legal. I tell them that I already thought of that.

You know, many if not most pool lights have the circuit run through a GFCI protected receptacle that is near the equipment. That receptacle has been outdoors for .... well when was that receptacle installed 10--20--30 years ago? New requires a WR rating because we now know that they don't last outdoors without it. The NEC should have a code which mandates that the GFCI receptacles for pool lights be replaced if an inspector is there for any reason ... from a re-roof to a birthday party.

Last edited:
A swimming pool without a light is dangerous because at night it is difficult to see the bottom of the pool. There could be a body down there and nobody would know it...or perhaps it helps people judge the depth. What ever the reason, clearly safety is involved. I bet that more people have been killed by defective pool lights than have been saved by having light.
Even with lights, There could be a body down there, and none could see it....pool.png
They got lights.... see the body?

I plastered a few pools with lamp black, I recall one where we were back within a few months for a re-plaster to white.
Some jurisdictions also enforce the WHITE finish, per CA Code Act, with no deviations.
This is so you can easily spot a body in the bottom of pool.

pool graphic.JPG

Last edited:
By the way it is the CA Swimming Code Act
The Swimming Pool Safety Act [115920 - 115929]
Thanks Mark,

I found this bit of information: "Any person entering into an agreement to build a swimming pool or spa, or to engage in permitted work on a pool or spa covered by this article, shall give the consumer notice of the requirements of this article."

That never happens. Note that it doesn't say when notice is delivered. The fence and gate is not mentioned until the inspector shows up for the pre-plaster inspection. Then the owner is thrown for a loop. A few thousand more for a legitimate barrier is something the pool contractor should put in the contract. That's just a nasty trick that I've seen many times... some are much worse than others. Imagine putting in a pool only to find out that now you have to buy the lot next door. That's the feeling they get.

I used to find the owner at the first inspection and get him on board with the fence and gate situation. The contractors would call the office to complain that I was upsetting the customer. They claim that the customer doesn't want me to do any more inspections. One manager that I had would say okay to that but he needs something in writing from the owner. I can't say that never happened.

Last edited: