• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Swinging door at top of landing with one extra step?

pizzapizzadaddio

I attach a picture. I’ve been trying to read through codes and this situation is hard for me to decipher. We have an interior stairway that goes to a 2nd floor. There is a landing at the top. On the landing you turn left, and then there is one more ‘step’ to the upper floor elevation. My question is would it be permissible to add an interior door swinging away from the landing to this location? I would like to place it very near to the edge of this last extra step after the landing. Single-family home. I have drawn in red the outline of where I’d like to place the door if possible. In California.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Exactly where do you want to add the door? Will the door close an existing opening, or are you asking about cutting a new doorway through one of the wwalls surrounding the staircase?

Based on 2021 IRC, below, I would say it is permitted. See the exception. However, I cannot emphasize enough the hazard of a single step. They were not even permitted by codes until late 1990s for good reason. They are often hard to see and unexpected. The door will make them even less noticable. I don't have a good solution. Good lighting and good contrast in floor surfaces would help.

R311.7.6 Landings for stairways.​

There shall be a floor or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway. The width perpendicular to the direction of travel shall be not less than the width of the flight served. For landings of shapes other than square or rectangular, the depth at the walk line and the total area shall be not less than that of a quarter circle with a radius equal to the required landing width. Where the stairway has a straight run, the depth in the direction of travel shall be not less than 36 inches (914 mm).
Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing over the stairs.

Based on bill1952's post above, yes.​

and based on other sections of the code, the step should be not more than 7-3/4 inches.
Is it a good design, no.
is it a trip hazard, yes.

According to the National Safety Council (NSC), more than 8 million people were treated in emergency rooms for Home, fall-related injuries in 2019......

After I posted and while on a treadmill I realized I had not suggested some sort of handrail, so when someone "air steps" and starts to fall forward, there is something to grab. Either a rail under the painting or a vertical grab bar on that wall.

It's the step as is. Adding the door only makes it a little more hazardous.

Seconding Mark's comment, falls are the leading cause of ER visits and cost over $100B a year in US.

Ok all, thanks for the replies. Your time and comments are much appreciated. The topmost step there was of course preexisting. I decided what I’ll do instead is place a barn door style sliding door a few inches onto the top floor elevation that will remain open by default, except when those upstairs need privacy. Then it’ll slide closed. The upstairs in this home was added in the 90’s and contains our master bedroom, closet, and bathroom.

Exactly where do you want to add the door? Will the door close an existing opening, or are you asking about cutting a new doorway through one of the wwalls surrounding the staircase?
To your first question Yankee I tried to draw the door outline in red, closing the existing opening for privacy of the upstairs master suite.

After I posted and while on a treadmill I realized I had not suggested some sort of handrail, so when someone "air steps" and starts to fall forward, there is something to grab. Either a rail under the painting or a vertical grab bar on that wall.

It's the step as is. Adding the door only makes it a little more hazardous.

Seconding Mark's comment, falls are the leading cause of ER visits and cost over $100B a year in US.
Great idea, I’ll look up the correct height for the handrail. Can install a short one that matches the other main white handrail and it won’t look bad.

Don't know which code you are subject to, but not sure it matters. Not sure exactly which way you wish to swing the door, but this illustration is from the '21 IRC. Even though it is a single step, it is still a stair.

1711035254208.png

Ok all, thanks for the replies. Your time and comments are much appreciated. The topmost step there was of course preexisting. I decided what I’ll do instead is place a barn door style sliding door a few inches onto the top floor elevation that will remain open by default, except when those upstairs need privacy. Then it’ll slide closed. The upstairs in this home was added in the 90’s and contains our master bedroom, closet, and bathroom.
Existing or new, that extra step is still a hazard.
Sliding or swinging, a step at a door, is still a Hazard.

Existing or new, that extra step is still a hazard.
Sliding or swinging, a step at a door, is still a Hazard.
True. But without ripping out and installing a whole new staircase I can’t see a way to get rid of the hazard of a step. Can you? I thought a sliding door that’s generally open at least reduces the hazard of the door part as there’s no forward/backward movement of the door or its operation. In terms of hazard, I find it acceptable. But it has to be to code. As we will be having city inspector out to permit the bathroom renovation on that floor. And they don’t seem to want to answer small questions until they’re already out for inspection. Never get a call back.

Any rail or grab bar will be an improvement over none. Yes, I realized you were stuck with this single step and just offered some ideas to mitigate the hazard. Learning this step serves only a master bedroom and (in my world at least) there are not guests, friends, etc. who use it helps. Two and only two regular users.

If the stair handrail could be continued around the landing that would be great. Since it's not required, it can be any height. I recommend as high as you are comfortable with is safer, because you have greater leverage if falling. Grab ontorail when you fall, the higher the rail the sooner you'll stop.

With one step, visibility and handrails/grab bars are the most you can do. In a commercial setting, I'd suggest signage or a "mind the gap" message. Obviously not suitable for your private stair.

I apologize that this has little to do with your door question. I think either door is fine. (Though I wonder if the step is less noticable with a sliding door because you are closer and don't have to step back like with hinged door.)

And they don’t seem to want to answer small questions until they’re already out for inspection. Never get a call back.
That's too bad. I would much rather deliver unwelcome news BEFORE treasure is spent. See if you can get an email and try your question. If the department will do a plan review, start with them (even if they don't do review, it is a good place to start....plans examiners may have more time to provide an answer than an inspector running at light speed). Anything we (I) say is subject to their decision making process anyway. IMHO I think a slider presents less hazard and awkwardness no matter which way a hinged door would swing.