• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Swinging Door to Accessible Urinal

I would say a definite "no" if the door only swings in as shown in the video. Even if the door swings out, it would be difficult for the user to open the door unless it can be easily pushed open by backing up. Both the 2010 ADA Standards and ANSI A117.1 have requirements in their respective Section 604 for "Water Closets and Toilet Compartment." Since this is not a water closet, the requirements for Section 604 would not apply.

Some other questions that are not addressed in the video:
  • Is this the only urinal in the restroom?
  • If it is not the only urinal, is the other urinal considered accessible?
  • What is the dimension between the face of the side partition and the surface of the wall?
  • What is the dimension between the lip of the urinal and the face of the door?
  • Does the door provide a 32-inch clear width?
  • Is the door reached from a forward approach or a side approach? If the latter, it would be unacceptable since the door would open toward the direction of the side approach.
  • Since the door swings at least inward, does the door swing encroach on the required floor space?
There are too many questions, but my initial assessment would be "no" unless it can be proven that it will allow a wheelchair user to approach, use, and leave the stall without any difficulties.

No, it does not negate accessible compliance? Or No, it is not accessible?
You're right, I was answering the question on the video and not Jeff's question.

I would say the door most likely does negate accessibility as I described in my response above. I would not approve the installation unless it can be proven it works for those in a wheelchair.

Speaking as someone who is confined to a wheelchair, I don't see anyway, that could be accessible. Whether it swings in or out death matters have a appropriate handle on it to be used to move the door. It would be easier if it opened out with the appropriate hardware.

Is there an accessible WC and is there more than one urinal?

109.2 Toilet and bathing facilities.
Each toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible. Where a floor level is not required to be connected by an accessible route, the only toilet rooms or bathing rooms provided within the facility shall not be located on the inaccessible floor. Except as provided for in Sections 1109.2.2 and 1109.2.3, at least one of each type of fixture, element, control or dispenser in each accessible toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible.

Exceptions:

4. Where no more than one urinal is provided in a toilet room or bathing room, the urinal is not required to be accessible.

Does the addition of this swinging door negate accessibility compliance? If so, what code would you cite?

A couple of things I am not sure of: 1 - does the door provide the minimum 32" clear space between the face of the door at 90 degrees to the latch?
2 ADA does not allow does to swing in or over an required clear floor space.
603.2.3 Door Swing. Doors shall not swing into the clear floor space or clearance required for any
fixture. Doors shall be permitted to swing into the required turning space.

Based on the Standards, 2010 ADASAD 605 Urinals 605.1 General. Urinals shall comply with 605.
Your Vid is too deep

alcove.JPG