• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Table 1004.1.1 labeling

Yikes

Gold Member
Not sure whether to put this here or in the "code administration" forum - -

Why can't table 1004.1.1 have reference numbers added to each type of occupant load?

For example, the first item in the table, "Accessory storage areas, mechanical equipment room" could be referred to as T1004.1.1.1.

"Business Areas" could be T1004.1.1.9, since it is the ninth item in the table.

As it currently is listed, if my client wants his space labeled "office", my natural inclination is to look on the table for the word "office". About one minute later, I find "business area". However, if there was a number reference on 1004.1.1, I think it would make for much more efficient use of the table.

The old UBC used to number the functions of space this way. Why can't the IBC do it as well?

My suggested solution is to go back to the UBC. It would cure a lot of ills.