• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Table 502.2(1) 2009 IECC

docgj

Silver Member
Climate zone 6, Walls above grade, wood framed. My table shows R-13 + R-7.5. What does that mean? I understand that if ci is after it that it is to be continuous. Do both the R-Values go in the wall? Or do I have a typo in my book and the R-7.5 should be ci?

docgj

Re: Table 502.2(1) 2009 IECC

Not an expert on this but, I believe the ci is in reference to the foot note that is for allowance to substitute block walls in place of.

Looks like misprints to me. I'd treat the second number as continuous insulation.

Jake,

Could you check your copy for me?

Forest,

ci stands for "continuous insulation"

docgj

Mine reads the same, third printing.

Second number equals continuous insulation (ci)

Footnote c applies to above grade mass walls in climate zone 1 & 2

mj

ci is in yours? ci was omitted in my copy(second printing).

docgj

docgj said:
ci is in yours? ci was omitted in my copy(second printing).docgj
ci is missing from many boxes, but not all.

Seems like a strange oversight, but enough of the boxes have it in to ASSUME the second number is ci.

mj

Never liked the "assume" thing with the codes.

Anyone else want to put their 2 cents in?

I know the second value is for continuous insulation but the footnote explains the "ci" as meaning you can sub a block wall in place of the continuous insulation.

Look at the top of footnotes...ci=Continuous insulation

docgj said:
Jake,Could you check your copy for me?

Forest,

ci stands for "continuous insulation"

docgj
I have the 2nd printing of the combined IECC/ASHRAE. I'm with mj, enough cells have ci to assume they mean continuous insulation.

Footnote c only applies to mass walls in Climate Zone 1 Group R, and Climate Zone 2 other than Group R.

just had training on this last week, actually 10 hours of training in the last 3 weeks on the IECC 2009. The first is number is cavity, the second is continuous.