• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Table 503 and Occupied Roofs

Fritz

Bronze Member
A 4 story R-2 Apartment building of Type V-A construction with a 13R sprinkler system.

It is a pedestal building with a S-2 type I-A fully sprinklered parking garage at grade. So looking at it, one would think it is a 5 story building.

It is under construction and the designers want to put a patio deck for the residents on the roof. 50 occupants max.

Can they have a “B” occupancy above the 4th floor?

I have been lead to believe, even though it is an occupied roof, the use “B” cannot be above the 4th story, as allowed in 2009 IBC table 503 including the use of a sprinkler. I looked at the upper part only when I start counting stories.