• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

table 508.4 - why is F-2(low) protected from S-1, but F-1(moderate) is not?

Welcome to the board. F1 and S1 are considered about the same hazard. You are protecting the lower hazard F2 from the S1, not the other way.

sdrawkcaB

I had this same question when I was reviewing some mixed use buildings.

If you have B occupancy, it needs to be separated from a S2 (low hazard storage) with a 2 hour separation.

Increase the hazard of the storage to an S1, (moderate hazard) and voila, no separation required.

Seems counterintuitive to me. Increase the hazard, eliminate the required separation

righter101 said:
I had this same question when I was reviewing some mixed use buildings.If you have B occupancy, it needs to be separated from a S2 (low hazard storage) with a 2 hour separation.

Increase the hazard of the storage to an S1, (moderate hazard) and voila, no separation required.

Seems counterintuitive to me. Increase the hazard, eliminate the required separation
That code provision doesn't exist in a vacuum. Construction type also plays a role in limiting the size of each occupancy - and there are thresholds for sprinklers as well.