• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Table R302.1(1)... distance is measure from element to what?

EnvisionMan

If you look at table R302.1(1) the far right column indicates the "MINIMUM FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE".

The question I have is... distance to what? The adjacent structure, or the building line?

I could SWEAR it indicated the distance to another structure (like a house next door) but I just had a building reviewer tell me that it means 5' to the lot line.

Any experience with this? I would prefer not to firewall the entire side of the house.

p.s. on a side note, the house next door is not parallel to the house I designed... there is about a 10 degree angle. So the walls are less than 10' apart for about 12 feet on my house. The actual wall is about 40 feet long. If I have to firewall this side, do I have to firewall the entire 40' length, or only the portion that is within the distances noted on R302.1?

(the homes are in a condo project... no lot lines, no minimum separation)

See the definition for Fire Separation Distance, it explains it.

I would say the portion that is inside the min 5' fire searation distance would be required to be rated.