• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tablet

BBrownMRA

Hello there everyone...

This is definitely a general question, I hope I am posting it in the right place...

But I am looking to ask for a Tablet for Christmas, and want to know if anyone has input into tone that would work well for Architects?

While it will mostly be for personal use, when I use it for work, I will generally use it to refer to drawings, probably .pdf's in the field as opposed to carrying rolls of drawings, and use the differnet Autodesk Apps, but wanted to see if there were any reccomendations?

We have test driven a couple tablets for completing inspections. The iPad was pretty terrible; no removable memory, glare on the screen when outdoors made it unreadable. Motion by Acer (I think) this was a vast improvement, the only down side it had over the iPad was the iPad has a drag feature when you drag your finger around the screen making it easier to view blown up PDFs of plans. We are currently trying to get our hands on a Microsoft Slate to test it out as well. One thing I would recommend would be to check and make sure that Autodesk has apps for the iPad before purchasing since it is a closed system. Also, you might whant to check the minimum system requirements for the programs you want to use and stack them up against the tablets.