• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tape Measure Accuracy 1/16" over 25'

jar546

Forum Coordinator
When it comes to construction tape measures, they are generally designed to meet industry standards, such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) guidelines in the United States, ensuring accuracy to within 1/16th of an inch over a 25-foot length. This level of accuracy is typically sufficient for most construction and DIY tasks. However, it's important to note that the accuracy of a tape measure can vary based on its quality and brand.

Now, how important is this level of accuracy for typical residential construction?

Now, how important is this level of accuracy for typical residential construction?
Not important all. Once you get the overall dimensions of the foundation and height, everything is cut to fit. If you were pre$cutting all the parts in a factory, you would need very close tolerances.

I've always dimensioned plans to 1" or 1/2" increments since 2 x 4s were no longer 1 5/8" x 3 5/8".

1/16" accuracy might be needed for finish carpentry, and 1/64" for furniture, but not for framing.

Accuracy can be a two edged sword. I had a crew of me and three others. We would approach job sites and inquire about piecework possibilities. I didn’t do edge forms because of all the bending over. Rolling trusses was too much climbing. Framing, well that was bending over and climbing.

I was okay with setting doors and windows, pickup, plumb and line, cabinets and counters but my favorite was siding and trim. I made good money on the outside and we had tricks of the trade down pat. Plus tools, don’t forget the tools. I had Sawbucks, compound miter saws, table saws, band saws. jigsaws, and those Japanese hand saws that I never used… but I liked that I could if I wanted to. Drills, sanders and routers. Nail guns from finish to framing … compressors to butane.

We checked our tape measures often. If you dropped it, if a cut was off, if it was Monday. So we were in the tall cotton covering tract McMansions with redwood siding. That didn’t happen often. After rolling up I would look at what we accomplished that day and it was good. We finished a house in a tract of fifty. The other piece work crews had a dozen completed.

I went to the super to to find out which house was next when he told me that we were done. He said that prospective buyers visit on the weekends and they have noticed a stark difference in the quality of the work between what my crew did and what the Skilsaw crews produced. They all wanted a house that we did. Well not to worry... there was a Masonite apartment complex down the road. Can't be too nice with butt to Masonite.

Last edited:
My personal preferences:

Forms - 1/8"
Framing - 1/16"
Sheetrock- 1/8"
Trim - Painted, 1/16"
Trim - stained /finished - 1/32"
Cabinet building - 1/64 or closer

Watch the small increments, the whole thing comes together nicely.

Kinda like the old saying, "Watch the penny and the dollars take care of themselves!"