• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

TBCF and Browser Compatibility

jar546

Forum Coordinator
After posting a poll for a potential logo for the forum, I read some posts where some members stated they could not vote. This brought up a compatibility issue with our software called Xenforo and some of the web browsers used by members. I want to discuss this.

First, the amount of software companies that provide forum products is dwindling. There are two major players, vBulletin which was had for years and I had issues with, and Xenforo, the one we use now. Neither option is perfect. As a matter of fact, no software program is perfect. One of the struggles that web-based programs have is compatibility with browsers. All browsers have frequent updates and occasional upgrades which makes it challenging for the software companies. As a result, they have to go with the masses when it comes to compatibility. When you have to write code that can't be compatible with 100% of the browsers, you go with the browser that has the highest percentage of users. For example, between Chrome & Safari, they make up almost 83% of the market. Firefox, for example makes up 3.23% of the market and when it comes to The Building Code Forum, only 3.6% are using Firefox. When it comes to Edge, about 5.5% of users are browsing with it but with the TBCF, about 16% of users browse with it.

Personally I've used Chrome for years with no issues at all and I'm an Apple guy. I did use Safari but prefer Chrome except when I can't use it, which is only one time, when I am flying American Airlines and want to watch the free onboard movies. For that I have to use Safari. At work, I can't use Firefox because it is not compatible with our web-based permitting software platform.

There was a time back in 2018 and early 2020 when Chrome was getting a bad wrap that was proven wrong. It is still one of the most secure, customizable browsers out there although any one of you can easily find a website that lists another browswer at the top. Those rankings are based on advertising dollars. So you can debate whatever you want, but the reality is that Chrome and Safari are the most compatible with this forum. If you are having issues, then you are not using one of those browsers OR the settings on your computer are to blame. I played this game in the beginning of this forum and spent a lot of time talking to people about the problems they were having with the forum. At the end of the day and hours wasted chasing nothing, 100% of the time it was user error.

Finally, I don't write the code for this forum. I pay for the licensing to use it every year after I paid the money up front to install it. I pay an IT company to help me with the server and other upgrade issues. I know how to customize this forum, help members, create and move subjects and that is about it. So if you can't vote on a poll, I can't help you. Only you can help yourself. You can open Chrome one time just to log in and vote, then log out, delete Chrome and move back to whatever browser makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside or just don't. Ultimately you are the one who makes the decision for what you can and can't do. I have no control over that just like I don't have any control over what browsers work with Xenforo. I hope everyone understands.

1702505660463.png

JAR,

All software seem to have works best with or only works with statements. Your are correct we have to go with the flow, just like the codes they work best when people go with the flow and not argue that the code is wrong or should not apply to them.

Thank you for all your work to keep this invaluable forum going. For those who say they should do this or that without adding positive effort to the product, oh well.

Like Chrome, but work everything is backed up with Microsoft so Edge it is....I don't think any real issues other than I do seem to see more of the ads lately....

For decades I used the Opera web browser. Despite having an exceptionally small market share, I rarely saw compatibility issues.

A recent job change resulted in having to switch to Edge at work.