• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Temperature Control

Chad Pasquini

All, CBC 2013, i have a proposed new building F-1,B, S-1, mostly F-1 - making guitars. do they need to provide heat for the F-1 portian of the building? Section 1204 states 68 degrees 3 feet above floor, Exception 1. Space heating systems are not required for interior spaces whre the primary purpose of the space is not associated with human comfort! Code and Commentary states: Heating facilities are required for comfort in all new construction. Definition of Primary Function, but no definition of Primary Purpose. your thoughts please, as apparently i am now costing applicants 100,000 dollars:) Thanks

I live in New York State. If you expect to make guitars in NY in the winter, you're probably going to need some heat... Many factories use equipment that produces heat as a by-product and have a lesser need for a heating system. Refrigerated and frozen stuff doesn't keep well in 65 degrees...

i was informed that the 2016 IBC Section 1204 Exception has a #2 for Group F, H, S or U occupancies. I have yet to adopt the 2016, but wondering if California's ammendments will read the same? Have any of you decided to use a code not adopted yet but new of changes that would benifit your applicant.

Chad Pasquini said:
i was informed that the 2016 IBC Section 1204 Exception has a #2 for Group F, H, S or U occupancies. I have yet to adopt the 2016, but wondering if California's ammendments will read the same? Have any of you decided to use a code not adopted yet but new of changes that would benifit your applicant.
It's the 2015 IBC and that exception has been added.

Yes, case by case, by code modification request.