• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Temperature controlled storage

VERMA071

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for some advice on wall insulation requirements to separate "soon to be built temperature controlled storage area from rest of the warehouse space". The temperature controlled storage space shall be used to store pharmaceutical packages. Anything else I need to keep in mind, please let me know.
Thank you.

1 of the big factors will be what temperature is the room going to be kept at? Is it just a cool room with temperatures around 40° or so or will it be actually a freezer type room with much lower temperatures? The insulation requirements will vary based on the desired temperatures.

A lesson I learned because another inspector wasn't thinking: if the "temperature controlled" area is insulated with anything other than a foam-like product, vapour barrier has to go on BOTH sides of the assembly.

Canadian codes say the vapour barrier has to be on the warm side. Had a build - before my time as an inspector - where the builder constructed a stick-frame building with insulation, and vapour barrier on the interior.
So in the summer, the outside air permeated, condensed and created moisture. Building was a total write-off seven years later.