• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ten foot tall fence

StephNow

2009 I-Codes, Pennsylvania

I received an application to erect a ten foot tall fence, but the codes doesn't really provide any prescriptive requirements that I can readily find. What are you doing in your jurisdictions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same as Fatboy here...on commercial projects, if the fence encloses the property, we require verification of compliance with Chapter 10's requirements for exit discharge to PROW be maintained.

Most manufactures of chain link fencing products have prescribed engineering for their product. Problems arise when the fence is made solid with screening or if the fence is of unusual construction such as a backstop or a fence anchored to an existing structure. We would require a wet seal and calcs at that point.

Florida Building Code recognizes any fence taller than 6 foot as a class "U" structure...

Structure = engineering for wind here...

Agree Frank's comment the building code with masonry walls. There are prescriptive standards that the building codes do not reference nor should it.

FWIW reputable companies should have or know ASTM F537 for wood; and number of different standards for chain link. One third of the post total length is buried depending on soil type down to 4 ft. If concrete encased a reduction of 6 inches of the post but not depth; again with exceptions. Corner post, braced post and gate post generally installed to frost depth minimum; field post are generally driven. Larger fence companies I've dealt with and worked for have a landscape architect on staff to submit stamp drawings when required.

If you don't think chain link has much wind resistance should try hanging 7' fabric on a windy day. Especially with the newer aluminum ties.

The only time an inspector checked my work to spec was for a county batting cage and all federal installations except one, but they have different standards done by their designers. Most didn't have a clue what to look at anyway.

Francis

We amended our Chapter 1 IRC "work exempt from permits", the fence portion from 6 feet to 8. Above that, you would need an engineer

If memory serves correctly, over two cycles, the argument was that many times the posts and other decorative features exceed the 6', without adding any wind loading to speak of, so rather than break out all those features, lets just call it 7'.

fatboy the proposal was made and did get change in the 2012 IBC

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/ibc/2012/icod_ibc_2012_1_sec007_par003.htm?bu=IC-P-2012-000001&bu2=IC-P-2012-000019

2012 IBC

[A] 105.2 Work exempt from permit.

Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Building:

1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 120 square feet (11 m2).

2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.

Reason: While this code change may seem petty, it does point out the reality faced by building departments on a daily basis and the conflict

that occurs when the point at which fences are regulated hits smack dab in the middle of the height range of commonly constructed fences.

The current language establishes the maximum height for a fence not needing a permit at 6 feet. However, fence boards are commonly sold in

lengths of 6 feet to 6 feet ½ inch. Coupled with the fact that fences are almost always constructed with fence boards slightly above grade and

your standard six foot fence is most often 6 feet 1 inch to 6 feet 2 inches high. Fences are often constructed because of a dispute between

neighbors. Then one of those neighbors will often complain to the building department that their neighbor should have a permit to construct a

fence that is only an inch or two more than six feet. This attempt to place the building department in the middle of the dispute is often

successful. Raising the height when a permit is needed to seven feet will not have any significant impact on the design of fences and changes

the point when a permit is required to a height that is not as likely to conflict with standard construction practices. This would be much better

public policy.

Here's Virginia's version;

5. Fences and privacy walls not part of a building, structureor of the barrier for a swimming pool, providedsuch fences and privacy walls do not exceed six feet inheight above the finished grade. Ornamental post capsshall not be considered to contribute to the height of thefence or privacy wall and shall be permitted to extend

above the six feet height measurement.

Francis

OK, I retract my standing corrected. I thought I looked it up and verified 7', oh well.......