• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

That's Not a Construction Trailer

FyrBldgGuy

Silver Member
Electric Company puts a 12 x 55 trailer in a graveled yard next to an electric substation. The yard is where trucks are stored and in the mornings employees park their personal cars. Crews get together in the trailer to talk about the day. Heat up some breakfast and check in on the computer for messages and time keeping. The Electric Company wants to call it a Temporary Construction Trailer. The use will be for 3 to 5 years. There is no construction activities on the site. There are no construction activities for miles.

A Temporary Construction Trailer does not need a permit, no zoning, etc. Yard was graveled without a grading permit. Roadbase was put down for the heavy trucks. Wet weather tracking is an issue. Dry weather dust is an issue.

What would you call it?

I would call it...They need a permit. Temporary is only 180 days.

docgj

And that 3 to 5 years will turn into 5 to 10 years, then 10 to 20 years, then....................................

B Office buildding.

Ask them if you can keep your temporary power service (for construction, of course) for 3 to 5 years.

I agree with others: B occupancy and requires a permit.

Ba,Ba,Ba B............... Check to see if the Utility Company has to pay the permit fee, wavier by council? may be exempt like the Post Office.

Construction trailer's are temporary, but a wind storm might blow it down, need that inspector to give the ok on the anchoring, electrical temporary service with support, grounding, check outlets, OSHA board for the job site paperwork, fire extinguisher, fencing, portapotty what else?

After all of that, work on your resume'

pc1

I have to agree with Mule, it could turn into a very long term occupancy. I'd call it a B occupancy as it is being used for offices and breaks.

Make them get grading and building permits. Might also need to go to planning and, if on a major highway, traffic study might be needed.

Sue, where the west still lives

Last edited by a moderator:

This thread is funny!

I also agree that it is a "Ba, ...ba, ...ba, "B" occupancy!.....Get the BO to go out and

state that their electrical power will be disconnected if,.......Oh wait, .....nope, can't

do that.

Prolly no cost permits would be an appealing option to them, but definitely need to

have inspections and porta-potties or other accomodations out there......Some very

remote locations have a designated "Outhouse" with a plastic bag inside a

5 - gallon bucket.....Then the ' deposits ' are burned on site in an incinerator.

Ya know, like they did on "Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe". :D

The ADA accessibility issues might be problematic......They DO have ADA

compliant porta-potties though!

HandicapAccess_Satellite.jpg

Have you ever been in a porta-potty that's got those free paper cowboy hats?

cool

I would venture to guess that they did not hook up their power in accordance with minimum NEC requirements.

They need a Type I exhaust hood and make-up air unit for frying bacon. Can you imagine what would be going through the fire-fighters mind while spraying a stream of water to put the fire out in the event that this little shack catches fire?

...approximately 1.21 gigawatts!

That's what would be going through his mind.