• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The 3 Main Reasons for Deck Collapses in America

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Deck collapses can happen due to a variety of reasons, some of the most common causes include:
  1. Lack of proper maintenance: Decks that are not properly maintained can become weakened over time. This can include issues such as rotting wood, rusting metal, and loose or missing fasteners. These issues can cause a deck to collapse, especially if it is subjected to heavy loads or strong winds.
  2. Structural design flaws: Decks that are not designed or built correctly can be more prone to collapse. This can include issues such as inadequate support, poor connections, or the use of low-quality building materials.
  3. Overloading: Decks that are overloaded with people, furniture, or other items can be more prone to collapse. This can happen when decks are not designed to support the weight of a large number of people, or when the deck is not built to withstand the weight of heavy items such as hot tubs or grills.
It's important to keep in mind that deck collapses can have serious consequences, such as injury or death. Therefore, it's important to properly maintain, design and use decks, and to call a professional if you notice any signs of wear or if you have any doubts about the structural integrity of your deck.

You called out loose or missing fasteners, and poor connections. Is that supposed to include incorrect nails and bolts? And using screws in hangers.

Decks aren't shown a lot of respect. Just about any gardner figures that they can build a deck. I don't even have a picture file labeled "decks." Every few years a deck fails or a balcony falls off a building and then there's an uproar that lasts until the next news cycle.

post.JPG

24324401975_5f6dacb691_b.jpg

I was an expert witness in a case where a contractor built a multi-level deck and stair to the back of a commercial store-front building with apartments above. It was a 3-story type V building. He did not pull a permit, did not follow the minimum standards and utility workers were walking up the steps when they collapsed. One of the workers has serious, life-altering injuries and the other was seriously injured.

There is a reason for plan review and inspections.

Every few years a deck fails or a balcony falls off a building and then there's an uproar that lasts until the next news cycle.
Best I could find was 6000-7000 ER admits a year from deck and balcony failures, less than 10 deaths. Simply the numbers compared to injuries and deaths from residential stairs or falls in bathrooms, it is several orders of magnitude less, and they don't get even a word in the newspapers.

Decks are like playground equipment…expendable. No matter how well built, the environment rusts the metal and rot the wood. Maintinance can only do so much to prolong the use of a deck and they are expected to fail.

Decks aren't shown a lot of respect. Just about any gardner figures that they can build a deck. I don't even have a picture file labeled "decks." Every few years a deck fails or a balcony falls off a building and then there's an uproar that lasts until the next news cycle.

View attachment 10009
I would be more worried about the efficiency of the HVAC unit with that one! The deck being so low wouldn't be a great concern even if it collapsed. I'm guessing the slope we are seeing is because the original brick sidewalk wasn't level, not that the deck is sloping that much.

Best I could find was 6000-7000 ER admits a year from deck and balcony failures, less than 10 deaths.
That is 0.002% of the US population. In that context it seems like a small problem….unless you were #6753. Virtually all were due to dilapidated construction. When built to code they are good until they’re not. There’s nothing more for the regulators to do about it.