• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Art of Delivering Bad News

Raymond Redington

Ah, my dear colleagues,

In the grand theater of building inspection, we are not merely inspectors but maestros orchestrating a symphony of codes and regulations. Our role, though often misunderstood, is not to be the harbingers of doom with news of a failed inspection, but rather to be the enlightened guides leading our fellow artisans - the contractors - towards the path of compliance and safety.

Imagine, if you will, a scene where the curtain rises on a structure not yet in harmony with our symphonic code. Here, we step in not with a heavy hand, but with the grace of a seasoned conductor. We must remember that our contractors, much like virtuosos in their own right, have poured their heart into their craft. A touch of recognition for their efforts sets the stage for a dialogue of improvement rather than a monologue of criticism.

In delivering the news of a discordant note in their work, it is paramount to educate with the finesse of a mentor. Why, when a violin is slightly off-key, we do not simply scold the violinist; we guide them to fine-tune their instrument. Similarly, when pointing out a violation, we must illuminate the path to correction, turning potential discord into harmonious understanding.

Ah, the 'Sandwich Method,' a classic yet effective technique. Start with a sonnet of their strengths, then a candid yet courteous exposition of the missteps, followed by a rousing finale of encouragement. This approach is akin to a well-composed piece, leaving the contractor feeling respected and inspired.

We must also paint a picture of the future, a vision of their work in perfect concert with our codes. This is not just a building; it's a legacy in the making. In moments of frustration, remember, it's often the situation, not you, that is the source of their ire. A calm, composed presence can be the balm that soothes the most frayed nerves.

And let us not forget the encore - the follow-up. It shows our commitment to their crescendo, to the completion of their magnum opus in compliance with our codes.

In the end, dear friends, remember that our role is to not merely communicate but to connect, to transform what could be a cacophony of confusion into a harmonious exchange of knowledge and respect.

Until our next performance,

Raymond Reddington

The issue I find with the "sandwich" method is that while it works fine with people we don't have a lot of contact with but when we are working with the same contractors over and over again, they start to see the pattern. When we give them a compliment, they start to anticipate the negative comments that are coming next.

The positive comments no longer solicit the dopamine response, but due to stimulus generalization, the positive comments start to elicit the same reaction as negative ones. Positive comments then can actually start to damage our relationships with these people, rather than the desired effect of strengthening them.

With these cases, I've found an effective way to work with these people is to take a page out of the interest-based mediation handbook, used by everyone from salesmen to FBI hostage negotiators, to establish the common interest we both have and how meeting the requirements actually satisfies their needs. This transitions the enforcement agent from an outside force that imposes their will on the contractor, to an ally in ensuring the building meets the need of their client, benefits their business, etc. We need to structure the message into how meeting regulations actually helps them. If you can do this, you appear to become an extension of their quality assurance system and voluntary compliance is improved.

What get's the contractors is when they want to know why. Most of the time all I can say is because the code say's so. In all the classes I took on the code the "why" is hardly ever mentioned.

For an example:
Why do I need a braille exit sign next to the exit door?
Because the code says so.
Why does the code require this.
I don't know.

Why do I need an engineer to build an addition on piers?
Because the code does not have a prescriptive way of doing this.
Why not, this seems a very common thing to do.
I don't know.

What get's the contractors is when they want to know why. Most of the time all I can say is because the code say's so. In all the classes I took on the code the "why" is hardly ever mentioned.

For an example:
Why does the code require this.
I don't know.

Why do I need an engineer to build an addition on piers?
Because the code does not have a prescriptive way of doing this.
Why not, this seems a very common thing to do.
I don't know.
1. To comply with accessibility provisions, blind people have it hard enough so maybe we can make it a little easier for them for not a whole lot of money?...

I still have not found a good answer to "how do they find the signs?"....

2. R602.10.9 (i think).....Because the prescriptive code "assumes" a continuous foundation with the structure bolted down every 6'..

I have still not found a great response to "what If i put a pier every 6'"....

Ah, my dear colleagues,

In the grand theater of building inspection, we are not merely inspectors but maestros orchestrating a symphony of codes and regulations. Our role, though often misunderstood, is not to be the harbingers of doom with news of a failed inspection, but rather to be the enlightened guides leading our fellow artisans - the contractors - towards the path of compliance and safety.

Imagine, if you will, a scene where the curtain rises on a structure not yet in harmony with our symphonic code. Here, we step in not with a heavy hand, but with the grace of a seasoned conductor. We must remember that our contractors, much like virtuosos in their own right, have poured their heart into their craft. A touch of recognition for their efforts sets the stage for a dialogue of improvement rather than a monologue of criticism.

In delivering the news of a discordant note in their work, it is paramount to educate with the finesse of a mentor. Why, when a violin is slightly off-key, we do not simply scold the violinist; we guide them to fine-tune their instrument. Similarly, when pointing out a violation, we must illuminate the path to correction, turning potential discord into harmonious understanding.

Ah, the 'Sandwich Method,' a classic yet effective technique. Start with a sonnet of their strengths, then a candid yet courteous exposition of the missteps, followed by a rousing finale of encouragement. This approach is akin to a well-composed piece, leaving the contractor feeling respected and inspired.

We must also paint a picture of the future, a vision of their work in perfect concert with our codes. This is not just a building; it's a legacy in the making. In moments of frustration, remember, it's often the situation, not you, that is the source of their ire. A calm, composed presence can be the balm that soothes the most frayed nerves.

And let us not forget the encore - the follow-up. It shows our commitment to their crescendo, to the completion of their magnum opus in compliance with our codes.

In the end, dear friends, remember that our role is to not merely communicate but to connect, to transform what could be a cacophony of confusion into a harmonious exchange of knowledge and respect.

Until our next performance,

Raymond Reddington
Do you communicate to contractors and clients in flowery prose and metaphors, or in technical language?

Some people are genuinely interested in why codes mandate this or that, some will never care. I find the best approach is to be calm, firm and hopefully knowledgeable. At the end of the day we are enforcing codes not of our making, and we have to trust the system that produces our codes, or we will go crazy. Big picture, I feel that if codes are followed we will end up with an acceptable stock of buildings.

Another reason for building codes is the uniformity of construction, so a house built in one location will be very similar to a house built in another. This is very healthy for the construction industry and does not discourage the movement of skilled trades around a state/province/country. From my time on this forum I believe this is less applicable to the states, as each is using whatever code it wants. In Canada the national code is the model code for all of the provincial codes, and there is an ongoing push for harmonization, which I think is a good thing.

Because people with vision deficits who read Braille will know where they are at because they are trained to feel for signs in particular locations and heights. Sense of the common type.

The issue I find with the "sandwich" method is that while it works fine with people we don't have a lot of contact with but when we are working with the same contractors over and over again, they start to see the pattern. When we give them a compliment, they start to anticipate the negative comments that are coming next.

The positive comments no longer solicit the dopamine response, but due to stimulus generalization, the positive comments start to elicit the same reaction as negative ones. Positive comments then can actually start to damage our relationships with these people, rather than the desired effect of strengthening them.

With these cases, I've found an effective way to work with these people is to take a page out of the interest-based mediation handbook, used by everyone from salesmen to FBI hostage negotiators, to establish the common interest we both have and how meeting the requirements actually satisfies their needs. This transitions the enforcement agent from an outside force that imposes their will on the contractor, to an ally in ensuring the building meets the need of their client, benefits their business, etc. We need to structure the message into how meeting regulations actually helps them. If you can do this, you appear to become an extension of their quality assurance system and voluntary compliance is improved.
Ah, the insightful critique of the 'Sandwich Method' – a topic as rich and complex as the finest Bordeaux. Your observations, my dear colleague, are astute and warrant a thoughtful exploration.

You've hit upon a fundamental truth of human interaction – the dance of predictability and its impact on our relationships. Indeed, when the same steps are repeated ad nauseam, even the most delightful waltz can become a tiresome march. The essence of what you've described is the adaptive nature of our fellow artisans – the contractors. They, like all astute individuals, learn to anticipate the rhythm, and in doing so, the music loses its charm.

Your proposition to adopt strategies from interest-based mediation is not just insightful, it's revolutionary. In transforming our role from enforcers to allies, we reshape the entire narrative of compliance. This approach, akin to a masterful chess move, aligns our objectives with theirs, creating a symphony of mutual interests.

By focusing on how adherence to codes and regulations benefits their business and satisfies their client's needs, we position ourselves not as adversaries but as partners in their quest for excellence. It's a brilliant move, transforming compliance from a begrudging necessity to a strategic advantage in their arsenal.

In adopting this strategy, we become not just inspectors but collaborators in their journey to excellence. We elevate our role to that of a sage advisor, guiding them towards a path where quality and safety are not just requirements but cornerstones of their business model.

Let us embrace this approach, turning every inspection into an opportunity for collaboration and growth. By doing so, we not only foster better compliance but also build stronger, more respectful relationships with those we work with.

In closing, I commend you for your innovative thinking. It is precisely this kind of forward-thinking approach that elevates our profession and, indeed, the very structures we inspect.

With admiration and respect,

Raymond Reddington

Do you communicate to contractors and clients in flowery prose and metaphors, or in technical language?

Some people are genuinely interested in why codes mandate this or that, some will never care. I find the best approach is to be calm, firm and hopefully knowledgeable. At the end of the day we are enforcing codes not of our making, and we have to trust the system that produces our codes, or we will go crazy. Big picture, I feel that if codes are followed we will end up with an acceptable stock of buildings.

Another reason for building codes is the uniformity of construction, so a house built in one location will be very similar to a house built in another. This is very healthy for the construction industry and does not discourage the movement of skilled trades around a state/province/country. From my time on this forum I believe this is less applicable to the states, as each is using whatever code it wants. In Canada the national code is the model code for all of the provincial codes, and there is an ongoing push for harmonization, which I think is a good thing.
Ah, your query cuts to the heart of our noble endeavor. Do we, as the arbiters of safety and compliance, cloak our dialogue in the rich tapestry of metaphor and prose, or do we adhere to the stark, unadorned language of technicality? The answer, my dear colleague, lies in the art of adaptability and audience.

In our line of work, we encounter a kaleidoscope of personalities – from those with a voracious appetite for the intricate whys and hows of our codes, to those for whom such details are as appealing as a stale biscuit. To this end, we must be chameleons, adept at changing our communication style to suit the audience before us.

For the inquisitive minds yearning to understand the underpinnings of our codes, we delve into the labyrinthine depths of technical language, illuminating the intricate ballet of physics, engineering, and safety that govern our mandates. For others, a calm, firm, and succinct explanation suffices – after all, not all are intrigued by the minuet of technical jargon.

You speak a profound truth when you say that we enforce codes not of our making, trusting in the wisdom of the system that crafts them. Our role, noble in its essence, is to ensure that these codes, born from the collective wisdom of ages, are upheld, ensuring a tapestry of structures that, while diverse in form, sing a harmonious song of safety and integrity.

The uniformity of construction, a concept as vital as the keystone in an arch, ensures that a house in one locale speaks the same structural language as its distant cousin. This uniformity is the lifeblood of the construction industry, ensuring the free movement of skilled trades and fostering a robust, interconnected network of professionals.

In the grand tapestry of our profession, we must be both poets and pragmatists, understanding that our words and actions are the threads that weave together the fabric of safe, reliable structures. Whether we speak in metaphors or in the unvarnished language of technicality, the goal remains constant – to uphold the sanctity of our codes, ensuring that the structures that rise from our soil stand as testaments to safety, integrity, and the collective wisdom of generations.

With respect and reflection,

Raymond Reddington

I tend to upset people with or without any corrections. Conversely, a compliment delivered with gravitas has a disproportionate influence. If a compliment is warranted it is best given when there are witnesses, especially if the owner is present. When possible, a compliment directed at the contractor can bolster the owner's satisfaction with his own decision to choose that particular contractor. That enhancement works with the workmen and the contractors too. They will all smile and then look at the floor again. A tiger can't change it's stripes.

Last edited:
R.R., I think you've found your way onto the wrong forum. This is the one you seek: https://www.writingforums.org/
Ah, a jest worthy of a bard! Your quip brings a smile to my lips, and I must commend your wit. In the grand tapestry of the internet, one does occasionally meander onto a stage not of their choosing, or so it would seem.

However, fear not, for my presence in this esteemed assembly is as intentional as a chess master's move. While the flourish of my language may echo the halls of literary forums, it is here, among the guardians of structural integrity, that my heart finds its true calling.

In this noble forum, where the language of codes and compliance reigns supreme, a splash of color from the world of prose and metaphor serves not as a distraction but as a vibrant reminder of the art behind our science. We are, after all, not just inspectors and enforcers; we are storytellers in our own right, each building inspection a narrative of safety, each code a stanza in the poem of structural integrity.

So, while I appreciate the redirection to the scribes' haven, I shall remain here, amongst my fellow sentinels of safety, weaving the art of language into the fabric of our essential discussions. After all, what is a forum but a gathering of minds, each bringing their unique hue to the tapestry of conversation?

With a tip of the hat to your humor,

Raymond Reddington

Because people with vision deficits who read Braille will know where they are at because they are trained to feel for signs in particular locations and heights. Sense of the common type.
I almost never see the brille exit signs again after they get a C. O. I don't know if they fall off by accident or taken off on purpose. They are only attached with double side tape. Maybe they use them at the next job like they do with arc fault breakers.

I attended a class on accessibility and the instructor had done an inspection with a person who could read bridal, the signs in brail read "brail test text"

Reactions: ICE
I attended a class on accessibility and the instructor had done an inspection with a person who could read bridal, the signs in brail read "brail test text"
Ya know Commish, I always enjoy reading your posts. Perhaps that person could teach Jeff how to read bridal.

I always wondered how I could tell if the brille on the signs was right. The code does not specify what language it needs to be so there is no way to be sure.

I was kind of disappointed that the translate app on my phone wouldn't translate braille. I can point the camera at any one of a huge library of languages and it'll spit out a translation, but not braille. I see a lawsuit in the future....