• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Crucial Role of Contractors During Building Inspections: A Call for Presence and Participation

Does your jurisdiction require the contractor to be present for inspections?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

jar546

Forum Coordinator
As a Building Official, I've witnessed a recurring scenario that sparks debate within our profession: contractors' absence during various building inspections, be it structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, accessibility, or energy-related. This issue isn't just about presence; it's about effective communication, efficiency, and ultimately, the successful adherence to building codes.

The Dilemma of Absent Contractors

Often, homeowners or inexperienced representatives stand in for contractors. They may lack the technical knowledge necessary to comprehend and convey complex code-related information. This gap in expertise not only hinders effective communication but also burdens both parties with avoidable challenges.

Impact on Inspection Process

When a skilled contractor is present, inspectors can succinctly summarize code violations and engage in detailed discussions on-site. This immediate feedback loop fosters a better understanding and quicker resolution of issues. In contrast, the absence of such skilled professionals compels inspectors to leave detailed notes, which can be time-consuming and less effective. Our goal isn't to write an exhaustive report on-site; we aim to ensure compliance and safety efficiently.

Communication Breakdown and Inefficiency

Detailed violation notices often lead to follow-up calls for clarification – a step that could have been avoided if the contractor had been present. This not only creates extra work but also delays the rectification process. When an inspector finds multiple minor issues, such as 18 electrical boxes with loose or missing grounds, describing each location is a cumbersome process. If the contractor were there, these could be pointed out and potentially rectified on the spot.

The Possibility of On-the-Spot Corrections

The presence of contractors during inspections can also lead to immediate minor corrections, turning potential fails into passes. While inspectors cannot wait for repairs, many issues are minor enough to be fixed quickly – often in less time than the inspection itself. This is not about cutting corners; it's about efficient compliance.

Encouraging a Shift in Practice

I propose a dialogue within our community on this matter. Should there be a more stringent requirement for contractor presence during inspections? How can we balance the need for efficient, effective inspections with the practicalities of contractors' schedules? Our aim should be to find a middle ground that upholds the integrity of the inspection process while being considerate of the contractors' constraints.

The poll is not an easy one to answer.
Actually, it's not. It is a yes or no. Either your jurisdiction requires it or it doesn't. What you do & what your opinion is does not make a difference in this poll & is not relevant other than conversation. We are gathering data on whether or not the jurisdiction you work in requires the contractor to be present for inspection. Simple & easy.

Alrighty then... I said too much again. I'll delete it.

Last edited:
Well, my only comment is I wanted to see the results, so I voted, even though I don't know what the jurisdiction I live in requires. I have been on site for all of the inspections on my diy work.

Really need a NA choice for some.

Well, my only comment is I wanted to see the results, so I voted, even though I don't know what the jurisdiction I live in requires. I have been on site for all of the inspections on my diy work.

Really need a NA choice for some.
Find out then vote so we are accurate. If you don’t know don’t vote