• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Deck Code Coalition (DCC) - Who Are They?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Seriously, who are they?

This is what the public knows:
  • The Deck Code Coalition includes the AWC, NAHB, CLMA, SMA, multiple engineering firms, product manufacturers, and code officials.
  • The Deck Code Coalition (DCC) was formed in 2013 to provide prescriptive deck specifications not provided in the IRC. The DCC is formed of building officials, representatives of industry associations and product manufacturers, design professionals, and academia.
So, I have some questions about the Deck Code Coalition.
  1. Is the DCC incorporated into an actual entity?
  2. If they are, what state are they incorporated?
  3. Is there a board of directors?
  4. How do you join?
  5. Do they plan on having a website for transparency?
  6. Does the DCC have a mission statement?
  7. If AWC, NAHB, CLMA, SMA, and multiple engineering firms and product manufacturers are members, why don't any of their websites link to or state so?
I am just curious how, what is being projected at ICC meetings as an entity, has flown under the radar for a decade and I can't find anything about them, other than their testimony and a few references to them on the internet. If anyone has any insight, I would love to know.

Sounds like a task group. It seems that all they have done is submit proposals for code changes, which anyone can do. Can you find an individual's name on any of the code change proposals they submitted? Call and ask them, or volunteer to join.

I believe the group was started by a group of NADRA members and a plans reviewer from VA, Chuck Bajnai, Glenn Mathewson was or is still on it. I attend meetings also. There was no formal establishment like ANSI, ICC or NFPA behind it, just a group of professionals that agreed to meet and submit proposals as a group.

So, I have some questions about the Deck Code Coalition.
  1. Is the DCC incorporated into an actual entity?
  2. If they are, what state are they incorporated?
  3. Is there a board of directors?
  4. How do you join?
  5. Do they plan on having a website for transparency?
  6. Does the DCC have a mission statement?
  7. If AWC, NAHB, CLMA, SMA, and multiple engineering firms and product manufacturers are members, why don't any of their websites link to or state so?
So, I will also go one by one,
  1. The DCC is not Incorporated!
  2. N/A
  3. No Board, no formal entity
  4. Anyone can join I would assume,
  5. Doubt a website, as there is no entity,
  6. Good question - My guess to improve the deck codes in the IRC?
  7. I what manner would you like them other than noted on the proposals submitted.
JAR,

I can tell you that the majority of people in that group, have been attending and still do attend the ICC Code Cycle hearings for the last 20 plus years or so.

When people attend the hearings, they all pretty much know each other, so when they speak for a proposal from the floor and note they were part of the groups discussion it is known. So, I guess the so called secret society are those that actually attend the hearings?

Email me directly I can give you some names if you want more information