• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Elusive 4 inch sphere....

righter101

Gold Member
Alas, I have found it.

We received a gift of a Bocce Ball set. Low and Behold, the balls are 100mm or 3.95 inches.

Try going to a crafts store. Theyhave styrofoam balls in different sizes. Bocce balls are too heavy to tote around! :)

I keep the Bocce ball set in the back of the inspection rig, next to the golf clubs, its no trouble.

(there is a cribbage board next to the plan review desk as well)

hard rubber doggie balls work too.

well not doggie balls... doggie toy balls.

Thanks for the clarification Peach, we're not allowed to bring pets to work. I did speak with a representative from Artistic Railings in Denver who said they have 4" plastic spheres - their website is www.artisticrail.com. I may order one just to have it in the truck.

Tape measures work really well also.
I can imagine some ornamental railings may be more challenging to verify without an actual sphere (and the code does say a 4-inch sphere, not a tape measure length - maybe ICC should expand their product line of inspection tools!).
the balls are 100mm
The O.B. may like this metric measure (although the B.O. might like it too), being exactly 10cm or 100% of the diameter to pass an infant's head.

Measure your digits on your hand, then you don't need to carry a tape measure!

pc1

Last edited by a moderator:
styrofoam is good to illustrate to the builder. If it crushes, the rail is ok.. assuming you get a 4" sphere. When it passes thru untouched.. there's a problem, Houston.

I gave up the search long ago and cut out a 4 and six from cardboard...easy to carry, fits on clipbd.

I once was told by an inspector that is why he had the tape measure tattooed to his arm.........:ugeek:Anyway peach is right we do have 4" balls in plastic for those that want them, you can look at the link below if the pic does not come out.
4inchtestball.jpg
http://www.artisticrail.com/designers.htm

View attachment 192

View attachment 193

View attachment 192

View attachment 193

/monthly_2010_09/572953b8828dc_ARIbaseLogo.jpg.00933dcd93505c4fd894669033b62953.jpg

/monthly_2010_09/4inchtestball.jpg.0890e6253ea5d2acec4fef091f58d7d5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

Were you the guy in Denver sitting at the end of the table?

When you need to illustrate the code language to a builder, don't use a tape measure... use a 4" sphere.

"When you need to illustrate the code language to a builder, don't use a tape measure... use a 4" sphere."

Sorry peach, I personally have to disagree on this one, I can make a tape measure go in any direction to resemble a "sphere", I don't need one more thing to carry around on inspections. If the contractor can't visualize a "sphere" well, I guess they are in the wrong business.

And, this is JMHO.....I hate to disagree with, as UB sez, the "pretty lady"...... ;)

tbz said:
I once was told by an inspector that is why he had the tape measure tattooed to his arm.........:ugeek:Anyway peach is right we do have 4" balls in plastic for those that want them, you can look at the link below if the pic does not come out.
Hopefully lots of people will be calling your office to talk about your balls.

The problem is that the code specifies a sphere, not a ball. ;)