• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Quality of Electrical Work and the IBEW

jar546

Forum Coordinator
When I look back over the years, one thing has been consistent when it comes to inspecting the electrical work on union jobs. In particular the IBEW, or International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. The work performed by the union always seems to stand out well above the rest, and for a good reason. What I find interesting is that much of this work was on larger, more complicated projects that required electricians who knew what they were doing. I truly believe that the IBEW's system of training and supervising is the single most important factor as to why their work is always impeccable. Here is a short synopsis of who they are.

The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) is a labor union that represents electrical workers across the United States and Canada. The IBEW was founded in 1891 and has a long history of promoting the interests of electrical workers and providing high-quality training to its members. One of the key reasons that the IBEW is known for its excellent training programs is because of its commitment to the education and development of its members.

The IBEW provides comprehensive training to its new members through its apprenticeship programs. These programs offer a mix of on-the-job training and classroom instruction, covering a wide range of electrical skills and knowledge. The training provided by the IBEW is designed to prepare its members for the challenges of the electrical industry, and it emphasizes safety, technical competence, and professional development. The high-quality training offered by the IBEW is a major reason why many electrical workers choose to become members of the union, and why the IBEW continues to be a strong and respected organization in the electrical industry.

Florida is not a very union-friendly state and the level of competency & quality of work that I see on the larger jobs is lacking compared to my experiences in Pennsylvania where they have a well-established union.

I think it depends on what part of the country you're in. Here in Kentucky most of the open shop electricians are just as good as the IBEW ones. Matter fact right now the local IBEW has a major recruiting campaign trying to entice members of nonunion shops to join them.

I was invited several years ago to the local union SMACNA (Sheet metal and air conditioning contractors national assoc.) for some HVAC installation training, it was free and it very informative. Came away with a standards book which has been very helpful in doing reviews and field inspections.