• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Troubling Ease of Becoming a Contractor in Pennsylvania: A Dangerous Game

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The Troubling Ease of Becoming a Contractor in Pennsylvania: A Dangerous Game

Pennsylvania, a state known for its rich history and diverse landscapes, ironically offers a startlingly lax path to becoming a contractor. In the absence of stringent state-level licensing requirements, virtually anyone can become a home improvement contractor, raising serious questions about competence and safety.

The Registration Conundrum​

To legally operate as a contractor in Pennsylvania, one simply needs to register with the Attorney General’s Office if they perform at least $5,000 worth of home improvements per year. This process, which seems more like a formality than a rigorous vetting procedure, lacks any substantial checks on the applicant's expertise or experience in the field. Astonishingly, there are no state-level general contractor license or certification requirements, as confirmed by NEXT Insurance and the Department of Labor & Industry.

The Perils of Inadequate Screening​

What's alarming is the ease with which one can jump through these hoops. Imagine, someone with no background in construction or electrical work could theoretically obtain insurance, possibly without any real scrutiny, register online for a mere $50, and voilà – they are a registered contractor. They can even parade this registration on business cards printed at the nearest Staples.

A Recipe for Disaster​

This scenario isn't just hypothetical fear-mongering; it's a potential recipe for disaster. In a state where general contractors can earn an average annual wage of over $100,000 in certain areas, as reported by NEXT Insurance, the temptation is high for inexperienced individuals to jump into this lucrative field, waving their freshly minted registration as proof of their "qualifications".

The Local Licensing Loophole​

While some cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh impose their own licensing requirements for construction and home improvement work, the state’s lax approach creates a loophole large enough to drive a truck through. In essence, Pennsylvania's approach to contractor registration is akin to handing out driver's licenses without a driving test.

The Call for Reform​

It's high time Pennsylvania revisits its contractor registration requirements. The state must establish a more robust system that includes proper training and assessment of skills. It’s not just about paperwork and fees; it's about ensuring that the individuals building and renovating our homes have the necessary knowledge and skills to do so safely.

Until then, homeowners must tread carefully, understanding that a registered contractor isn't necessarily a skilled or experienced one. As for aspiring contractors, true professionalism goes beyond registration; it involves a commitment to learning and upholding industry standards.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be replying to this thread. Nothing that I produce will be as polished as the .... well I had quip on the tip of my tongue ... but I caught myself, about to muck it up.

You could leave out that State of Pennsylvania part of the article and it will still be germane to the rest of the country. California requires a test. The focus of the test is contract law and making sure that taxes are paid.

There are qualified contractors that produce quality results and than there are those contractors that find workers under the trees at Home Depot. So many times I have handed a workman a list of corrections and heard, "You need to explain these." Oh but wait a minute, don't you work for a contractor? Contractors call the office to complain that I am not doing their job.

I know a guy that worked for a company that performed re-lamping for big box stores. At one point the company decided to do away with employees and put everyone on a 1099 status. That required a contractor license. He never missed a day. He could change a light fixture and nothing more than that but he was the proud holder of a C-10 Electrical Contractor License. He managed to drop a 2000-amp service. He wasn't even a little bit embarrassed. He electrocuted his dog when the back yard flooded. He's probably wiring power generation plants by now.

Last edited:
If we were to require licensed contractors to know everything they should know there would be no licensed contractors.

If we were to require licensed contractors to know everything they should know there would be no licensed contractors.
It comes down to what one thinks a licensed contractor should know. Your premise applies equally to engineers. And if they should know it but don't know it, how is it that they were hired to know what they don't know? Seems to me that you would deem that to be perpetrating a fraud.

. California requires a test. The focus of the test is contract law and making sure that taxes are paid.
My experience is the test is 2 parts, one for the business side, and one for the trade side. YMMV.

Which is why there are multiple license types that a contractor can apply for, each with their own, separate competency-based test, unlike an engineer they all take then specialize afterwards.

Our state is similar. Home Improvement Contractors and New Home Buildings are required to be registered, but registration only requires payment of a [very nominal] registration fee. No technical qualifications are needed to register. The law for HICs specifically states that they may NOT advertise themselves as "licensed," but probably 90% of them do so anyway, and the state doesn't do anything about it.